The Surgical Service Line at VA Central Iowa Health Care System in Des Moines, Iowa is recruiting for a Part Time and/or Intermittent (as needed) Nurse Practitioner in Otolaryngology. The Nurse Practitioner will perform initial physical examinations on new patients, manage ongoing treatment of follow-up patients, coordinate care for the ENT patient, and perform patient education regarding the ongoing care of ENT needs.Learn more about this agency
Common duties of the position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Perform initial physical examinations on new patients collecting information regarding the history of the chief complaint and completes a physical examination, to develop and implement an appropriate level of expertise regarding Otolaryngology evaluation & treatment.
- Manages ongoing treatment of follow-up patients, consulting with the Otolaryngology as appropriate.
- Coordinates care for ENT patients, ordering appropriate diagnostic tests, performs patient education regarding ongoing care of ENT needs, prescribes medications and products as appropriate.
- Places orders for diagnostic tests (e.g. MRI, ABI, orthotics, X-rays, bone scans etc.), and evaluates test results / reports.
- Coordinates clinic and providers schedules to maximize clinic efficiency and Veteran access to care.
- Evaluates, treats and triages walk-in or add-on outpatients on a daily basis.
- Coordinates pre-operative work-up for operative patients and arranges for them to be put on the OR schedule.
- Manages inpatient care as requested, making rounds, recording their medical progress, updating and summarizing medical records, changing patient orders as appropriate, and notifying the admitting physician of significant changes in the patient's condition.
- Provides education and counseling to patients and families regarding preventive care, medical conditions, and use of prescribed treatments and drugs.
- Obtain surgical consents in person and by recorded phone conversation for those procedures identified by the physician performing the procedure, as appropriate.
- If determined appropriate, participate in ENT after-hours call as delegated by Chief of ENT.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/541207600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.