You will serve as the Assistant for Shipboard Systems reporting to the Chief Engineer, Strategic Systems Programs (SSP). You will serve as the primary leadership at SSP Headquarters regarding research, design, development, test and test analysis, production, installation, fleet support and sustainment of all generations of U.S./UK Fleet Ballistic Missile Fire Control, Launcher, Navigation, Missile Test and Readiness Equipment, Shipboard Data System, and SSGN Attack Weapon Control Systems.Learn more about this agency
- You will be responsible for providing leadership and direction to the operation and life cycle support of the TRIDENT (D5) shipboard systems for SSP.
- You will be responsible for leadership of planning, developing, and implementing the overall technical programs of the Shipboard systems to integrate and align the execution of an annual budget of approximately $300 million annually.
- You will lead efforts to leverage development work across multiple projects by developing common elements for use in modernization projects across SSP.
- You will be responsible for reviewing and evaluating the total technical effort for shipboard systems and providing technical advice and direction with a view towards establishment of system integration and compatibility within the weapon systems.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify/.
- You will be required to complete ethics orientation within three months of appointment and submit a Public Financial Disclosure Report, OGE-278e within 30 days of appointment.
- You will be required to sign the Reassignment Rights and Obligations Agreement as a condition of appointment into the SES in accordance with Department of Defense (DoD) Directive 1403.03.
- May be required to successfully complete a 2-year SES probationary period.
- This position is covered under the Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA). You must be certified as a Career Field Project Management Level III. Certification is required within 24 months of appointment.
- This position is covered under the Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA). You must be able to obtain a Career Field Program Management Level III certification within the prescribed timeline.
- This position is a designated Key Leadership Position (KLP). You must be a member of the Acquisition Corps prior to assignment to the position and sign a three-year tenure agreement prior to assuming the position.
- This position requires membership in the Defense Acquisition Corps. For more information, please visit http://www.secnav.navy.mil/rda/workforce/Documents/dawiaoperatingguide.pdf
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test (including marijuana) is required. A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if you fail to report to the drug test appointment or pass the test. You will be subject to random testing.
- This position may require travel from normal duty station to CONUS and OCONUS and may include remote or isolated sites. You must be able to travel on military and commercial aircraft for extended periods of time.
- This position is considered Key/Emergency-Essential. You will be required to provide immediate and continuing support to ensure the success of combat operations or the availability of combat-essential systems.
QualificationsQUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS: Applicants will be assessed against qualifications which fall into two areas: Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) and Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQs). Failure to fully and concisely describe how your experience meets the competencies described in the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) and Mandatory Technical Qualifications will eliminate you from consideration.
The application process used to recruit for this position is RESUME-ONLY. We recommend that your resume emphasize your level of responsibilities, the scope and complexity of the programs managed, and your program accomplishments, including the results of your actions. Any information in excess of 7 pages WILL NOT be considered. 5 pages are allowed for the resume and ECQs, and 2 pages are allowed for the MTQs. An example of a well-formatted resume that incorporates the information required can be viewed here: Sample Resume
EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS: You will be assessed against the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs).They are designed to assess executive experience and potential - not technical expertise. They measure whether you have the broad executive skills needed in a variety of senior executive positions. Failure to meet a qualification requirement will disqualify an applicant.
More information on these core qualifications are available at http://www.opm.gov/ses/recruitment/ecq.asp
The ECQs describe the leadership skills needed to succeed as an SES; they also reinforce the concept of an "SES corporate culture." Refer to the OPM Guide to SES Qualifications for specific information and guidance on the ECQ requirements, the C-C-A-R model, and examples of good qualifications statements at the website: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/senior-executive-service/reference-materials/guidetosesquals_2012.pdf
(Note: Current career Senior Executive Service (SES); former career Senior Executive Service (SES) who are reinstatement-eligible; and graduates of OPM-certified Candidate Development Programs are not required to address the ECQs, but must address the Mandatory Technical Qualifications)
To meet the minimum qualification requirements for this position, you must show in your resume that you possess the five Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) and the Technical Qualifications (TQs) listed below.
1) Leading Change: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
2) Leading People: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent in this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
3) Results Driven: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent in the ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high- quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
4) Business Acumen: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
5) Building Coalitions: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, state and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
MANDATORY TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS: (Each must be addressed separately in your Supplemental Narrative Statement or resume. The total narrative for the MTQs must not exceed 2 pages.)
1. Ability to plan and execute concurrent complex technical programs containing concurrent elements of Research and Development (R&D), engineering development, production, operational support, technical refresh and life cycle support.
2. Knowledge of the R&D, engineering development, production, life cycle support of shipboard systems for a sea based strategic weapon system.
3. Experience in the technical disciplines of long range Submarine Launched Ballistic Missile (SLBM) fire control systems, SLBM navigation, SLBM launcher, and powered flight SLBM subsystems.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website:
0801 Professional Engineering Series
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.
Applicants must meet the following positive education qualifications requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualifications Standards Manual:
Successful completion of a bachelor's or higher engineering degree from an accredited college or university. To be acceptable, the program must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one program accredited by (ABET) as a professional engineering program; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics. Such education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work of the position. -or- Combination of college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following: (I) Professional Registration or Licensure: Current registration as a an Engineering Intern (EI), Engineering in Training (EIT) or Licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE) by any State, the District of Columbia, Guam or Puerto Rico. Absent other means of qualifying under this standard, those applicants who achieved such registration by means other than written test (e.g. State grandfather or eminence provisions) are eligible only for position that are within or closely related to the specialty field of their registration; or (II) Written Test: Successfully passed the Fundamental of Engineering (FE) examination), or any other written test required for professional registration, which is administered by an engineering licensure board in the various States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico; or (III) Specified academic courses: Successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences that included the courses specified in the basic requirements. The courses must be fully acceptable toward meeting the requirements of a professional engineering program as described in response A or (IV) Related curriculum: Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in an appropriate scientific field , e.g., engineering technology, physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology, may be accepted in lieu of a degree in engineering, provided the applicant has had at least one year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance. Ordinarily there should be either an established plan of intensive training to develop professional engineering competence, or several years of prior professional engineering-type experience, e.g., in interdisciplinary positions. (Note: Please see the Qualifications & Education sections of this announcement for a link to the Office of Personnel Management's (OPM) Individual Occupational Requirements. OPM guidance indicates that there should be either an established plan of intensive training to develop professional engineering competence, or several years of prior professional engineering-type experience. This training plan or experience must be well documented and provided at time of application.)
This announcement has been amended as follows: DAWIA requirements have been updated in the Conditions of Employment section of this announcement.
Section 1109 of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) for Fiscal Year (FY) 2019 permits a qualified individual to be given an initial appointment into the Senior Executive Service (SES) within the Department of Defense (DoD) without being subject to the certification of Executive Core Qualifications (ECQ) by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), Qualifications Review Board (QRB).
A career SES appointment made under this authority does not guarantee that you will be eligible to transfer to another career SES appointment outside of the DoD without the need for you to compete. Other Federal agencies may require you to submit ECQs to OPM's QRB prior to your appointment in that agency.
This position is in the Senior Executive Service (SES), a small elite group of top government leaders. SES members possess a diverse portfolio of experiences including strong skills to lead across organizations. As an executive, you will influence the direction of innovation and transformation of the federal government and lead the next generation of public servants.
This position is not covered by the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program.
Additional vacancies may be filled by this announcement.
Veterans' preference does not apply to the Senior Executive Service.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
If you are unable to apply online and request information about the Alternate Application process, please see the How To Apply section of this vacancy announcement.
Federal annuitant information: The selection of an annuitant is subject to the Department of Defense and Department of the Navy policy on the employment of annuitants. Policy information may be found at: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/FedCivAnnuitants.pdf.
A relocation incentive is generally a single payment intended to offset some of the relocation costs experienced by the selectee. A relocation incentive may be authorized.
This position is eligible for part time, full time or ad-hoc telework at the discretion of management.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
All required application materials will be reviewed to determine if applicants meet the mandatory qualification requirements. Qualification and experience determinations will be based only on the information supplied by the applicant. The best-qualified candidates for this position will be distinguished from other applicants by an evaluation committee to determine the degree to which qualification requirements are met. Applicants should provide specific evidence of possession of the mandatory Technical and Executive Core Qualifications, as outlined under Qualifications Criteria, to assist the evaluation committee in determining the best-qualified candidates that will be considered for final selection.
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
Applicants that meet the basic qualifications requirements will be evaluated based on the quality and extent of their experience, training, and/or education indicated in the separate narrative statement. Resumes will be evaluated by a rating and ranking panel, and highly qualified candidates may be invited to participate in a structured interview. The Ad-hoc Executive Resources Board (AERB) will review results and make recommendations on final selections to the approving authority.
If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
All qualifications requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
You are required to provide documentation that supports the eligibility and qualification claims made in your resume and assessment questionnaire. You must submit the applicable documents listed here and those listed with the eligibilities you select in the announcement questionnaire with your application package. Applicants who do not provide supporting documentation that fully support their claims will not be referred to the hiring manager. Cover letter is optional.
A complete resume is required. Your resume must show relevant experience, job title, duties and accomplishments. Your resume must show complete information for each job entry to support minimum qualifications. The following information should be provided in your resume, but it is acceptable to provide elsewhere in your application package: employer's name, starting and end dates (Mo/Yr), hours per week, and pay plan, series and grade level (e.g. GS-0201-09) for relevant federal experience.
A Separate narrative statement is required. Your narrative statement must address Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQs).
Are you a graduate of an approved SES training program? You must provide a copy of your certificate of completion.
Are you claiming membership in any professional organizations, or possession of a license, certificate or credentials? Check the Conditions of Employment section above to see if any are required. If you claim membership, license, certification, or credentials, you must submit a copy of said document in your application package.
Are you using education as a substitute for some or all of the experience requirement? Is there a basic education requirement for this position? Check the Education section above to see what is allowed and what is required. Any claims you make in your resume or assessment questionnaire regarding education or degrees must be supported by unofficial transcripts or a list of courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned issued from your school. You may submit a copy your degree(s) if specific coursework does not have to be verified. Claims for approved "grandfather" clauses must be fully supported with documentation.
If you are selected, we will request official/sealed transcripts directly from the school(s). All education and degrees claimed by you in your application package will be verified before you can report for work.
Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents contain personal information such as SSN and DOB and some documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove said personal information before you submit your application. You must provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
Click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Complete resume with relevant experience, job title, duties and accomplishments. Your resume must show complete information for each job entry to support minimum qualifications. The following information should be provided in your resume, but it is acceptable to provide elsewhere in your application package: employer's name, starting and end dates (Mo/Yr), hours per week, and pay plan, series and grade level (e.g. GS-0201-09) for relevant federal experience.
2. Complete assessment questionnaire. For a quick preview of the assessment questionnaire click here: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10565472
3. Supporting documentation
Failure to submit a complete application package will result in an ineligible rating and loss of consideration.
Your complete application (resume, assessment questionnaire, and all supporting documents) must be received by 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time (EST) on 08/14/2019. Applications received after 08/14/2019 will generally result in an ineligible rating and loss of consideration. If more than one resume is received, only the last resume received and processed will be reviewed.
Note: To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account: https://mydon.usajobs.gov/Account/Login select Application Status, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process so please plan appropriately.
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
Do not email or send hard copy resumes/applications to the Contact Information or Agency Information listed in this vacancy announcement. All resumes/applications received at the addresses listed in the Contact Information or Agency Information will be destroyed and will not be considered for this vacancy announcement.
It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that all information in their resume and documents are legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers/documents submitted by an applicant.
Agency contact information
Department of Navy Executive Hiring
AddressSTRATEGIC SYSTEMS PROGRAMS
1250 10th Street SE
Washington, DC 20374
When the application process is complete, your complete application (resume, assessment questionnaire, and all supporting documents) will be reviewed to determine if you meet the hiring eligibility and qualification requirements for which you requested consideration. You will be rated based on the information provided in your resume and responses to the questionnaire, along with your supporting documentation to determine your level of knowledge, skill, and ability related to the job requirements.
Generally, only best qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager. Sometimes well qualified andminimally qualified candidates are referred. Occasionally, candidates eligible for priority consideration are referred, and no other candidates are referred.
The hiring manager may choose to conduct interviews.
You will be notified of our rating and referral decision. If you are referred, you will be notified when a hiring decision is made.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/541101500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.