Join the team! This position is located in the Headquarters Office of the Consumer Product Safety Commission, Office of the Executive Director, Directorate for Epidemiology, Division of Hazard Analysis (EPHA). EPHA is responsible for planning, organizing, directing, controlling and coordinating the Consumer Product Safety Commission's national epidemiology programs that include injury data collection and analysis to identify hazards or hazard patterns.Learn more about this agency
This position is the Lead Mathematical Statistician for the Emerging Hazards (EH) Team performing the following duties:
• Maintaining and applying technical knowledge to support CPSC
mission and goals to improve product safety;
• Communicating and integrating the CPSC plan into the EH Team work product;
• Monitoring incoming data to identify potential emerging hazards through established techniques as well as soon-to-be-adopted new data mining techniques.
• Translating technical questions/objectives into quantitative statements and formulating and monitoring analytical plans and schedules to support characterization of product related injuries and hazard patterns;
• Monitoring the EH Team's accurate and timely conduct and completion of Product Safety Assessments (PSAs);
• Monitoring of EH team’s timely and accurate triage of newly coded data in the incoming task flow of Consumer Product Safety Risk Management System (CPSRMS).
• Adjusting the triage process flow of incoming data according to consensus decisions received from subject matter experts’ review.
• Responding to data requests (monthly, bi-annual, and ad-hoc) in support of CPSC’s cooperative work with external voluntary standards development organizations. The EH team lead plans, assigns, and reviews the completed deliverables, and ensures that all protocols are followed by EH team members.
• Developing analysis plans and schedules that meet established objectives and milestones;
• Identifying, distributing and balancing workload and tasks across the EH;
• Communicating assignments, schedules, and corrective actions to EH team members;
• Formulating and implementing algorithms for establishing data subsets and data integrity assessments;
• Overseeing the development, testing, implementation and analysis of NEISS-based special study data collected using Computer Assisted Telephone Interviewing (CATI) software;
• Supplying technical input and guidance for selection/implementation of algorithms to enhance computational efficiencies;
• Coordinating and implementing assigned special studies;
• Providing statistical and quantitative input and guidance to other CPSC staff and the EH;
• Coaching team members and building consensus when appropriate;
• Developing reports, briefing papers and packages, memos and all other written documents associated with assigned duties;
• Making formal and informal presentations concerning data, methods and findings;
• Serving as technical representative for CPSC or work unit through letters, memoranda, telephone conversations, meetings, as reviewer of prepared materials and other assigned work;
• Assisting with the development of materials for agency budget and operating plans;
• Providing feedback to team on data and analytic responsibilities;
• Establishing appropriate internal and external contacts;
• Keeping supervisor apprised of progress, issues, resource requirements and suggesting training needs for team members;
• Maintaining time and attendance for EH team members;
• Providing annual performance reviews for EH team members;
• Helping with the recruitment and mentoring of new hires in the EH team;
• Ensuring seamless operation of EH team tasks through planned and unexpected absences;
• Informing the supervisor on behalf of team members with respect to performance, promotions, awards, or recognition;
• Performing other duties as assigned.
Occasional travel - Up to 25% travel in Local Commuting Area
14 - Position is at the full performance level.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/541096200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.