WHAT IS THE IRS INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY DIVISION? The mission of IRS Information Technology is to provide leadership in the delivery of information technology solutions that anticipate and meet enterprise-wide needs by empowering employees to deliver customer-centered, value-creating systems, products, services, and support.
See Other Information for Locations.
*Amended to clarify positions can be filled IT-Wide*Learn more about this agency
WHAT DOES AN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST (SECURITY) DO? The duties of an IT Specialist (Security) requires ensuring the integration of IT programs and services; developing solutions to integration/interoperability issues; designing, developing, and managing IT security systems that meet current and future business requirements, and apply or extend, enhance, or optimize the existing architecture; managing assigned projects; communicating complex technical requirements to nontechnical personnel; and preparing and presenting briefings to senior management officials on complex/controversial issues. Such work assignments include leading IT security systems development projects from design to support; evaluating the effectiveness of installed systems and services; and providing advice on and devising solutions to a wide range of IT issues.
As a Security Information Technology Specialist you will:
- Lead the implementation of security programs designed to anticipate and minimize system vulnerabilities.
- Review proposed new systems, networks, and software designs for potential security risks; recommend mitigation or countermeasures, and resolve integration issues related to the implementation of new systems within the existing infrastructure.
- Develop contingency plans (Disaster Recovery or Business Continuation Plans for information technology systems) to ensure availability and accessibility of network resources.
- Develop long-range plans for IT security systems that anticipate, identify, evaluate, mitigate and minimize risks associated with IT systems vulnerabilities.
- Coordinate the implementation of security programs across Tier I, II and III systems, and establish vulnerability reporting criteria.
- Review security incident response policies and identify the need for changes based on new security technologies or threats.
- Implement security requirements, integrate security programs and define the scope and level of detail for security plans and policies.
If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
This position is covered by a formal development plan and pay retention may be authorized for employees entering at a lower grade level with promotion potential back to their current or higher grade
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Occasional travel - 1-5 nights per month may be required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/541084400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.