THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 5 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.Learn more about this agency
This National Guard position is for a IT SPECIALIST (DATAMGT), Position Description Number T5244000 and is part of the OH USPFO, National Guard.
1) Provides assistance, advice and guidance to organizational users, both in the administrative and technical areas, concerning the use of the multiple database management systems available for use.-Using software-engineering techniques, designs new applications that enhance existing systems. Closely coordinates with the applications' owning agency personnel to ensure NGB and state compatibility and to recommend priorities for systems development and implementation. Responsible for the management of quality assurance and system efficiency functions of assigned RDBMS systems by enforcing the prescribed RDBMS.
2) Reviews and implements security provisions to ensure authorized access and integrity of the RDBMS. Ensures the application of information security/information assurance policies, principles, and practices in the conduct and oversight of RDBMS, policy, and planning functions. Implements the policy for the use of the data and any access constraints applying to exclusive or shared file usage (in which system deadlock might occur). Develops and reviews the administration of file membership roles, file purge roles, file back-up procedures, and audit procedures.
3) Provides technical advice and coordinates the monitoring and tuning requirements for RDBMS optimization of performance. Analyzes database operations to identify bottlenecks and takes action to resolve problems and ensure consistency. Manages the flow of data between the various tiers of the architecture. Investigates amount of storage space consumed, access time statistics and frequency of use for a given RDBMS. Reviews RDBMS accounting information and takes action to improve efficiency.
4) Reviews system documentation, users manuals and training guides. Develops local state modifications to these documents to fit local operating procedures and to include instructions relative to locally developed supplemental applications. Provides training on implementation, including classroom instruction and Computer Based Training (CBT) development. Troubleshoots problems involved in the input, retrieval or modification of database information and the general operation and maintenance pertinent to any of the organizations data system elements or sub-elements.
5) Tests new DBMS software and implements updates and changes. Ensures resolution of DBMS inconsistencies across the installation in coordination with other information technology specialists and systems administers. Develops system backup and recovery plans assigned RDBMS applications. Makes recommendations on alternatives involving major projects. Analyzes DBMS inconsistencies with other system administrators and devises recovery plans for failure resolution. Resolves a wide variety of system problems, which are caused by data errors, operator errors, hardware malfunctions and program errors. Traces and isolates causes of problems in hardware and software.Provides DBMS maintenance of a data dictionary, listing the kinds of data in databases and how to access them. Coordinates and integrates data elements for a variety of projects in a number of dissimilar areas.
5) Provides technical assistance to personnel involved in developing system design, programming, specifications and adapting commercially available software. Participates in the analysis of requests for new and modified applications. Determines equipment demands, number and kind of records, required files, data communication needs, procedures needed to obtain and organize information, and interfaces with other systems. Identifies relationships, sequences and search strategies to be used.
6) Performs other duties as assigned.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/541057100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.