The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) manages the exploration and development of the nation's offshore resources. It seeks to appropriately balance economic development, energy independence, and environmental protection through oil and gas leases, renewable energy development and environmental reviews and studies. For information about our bureau go to: http://www.boem.gov/Learn more about this agency
The Physical Scientist positions are located in BOEM’s Office of Environmental Programs (OEP), Division of Environmental Studies, Branch of Physical & Chemical Sciences. The incumbents serve as Bureau and Departmental senior advisors regarding the development and application of methods for scientific and statistical analysis of environmental impacts and as such provides authoritative scientific and technical advice and oversees coordination on physical science disciplines, such as physical oceanography, or ecosystems processes within the physical system.
Salary Range Information:
GS-14: $117,191 - $152,352
The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval.
Major duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Serve as senior advisor and expert in the areas of physical oceanography.
2. Represent the Bureau or Department at national and international meetings with respect to scientific questions related to environmental impacts, ecosystems modification, utilizing adaptive management in decision-making.
3. Serve as a Contracting Officer’s Representative and DES contact for environmental studies.
4. Provide advice and formulate Bureau policy options for Department and BOEM senior managers.
5. Serve as BOEM liaison with other Federal agencies and state and local offices on issues concerning BOEM science.
6. Evaluate and comment on field office and headquarters environmental documents.
7. Prepare specialized scientific reports to be used by Department or BOEM managers for decision-making or testimony.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel of 1-5 nights per month may be required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/540951200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.