WHAT IS THE TAX EXEMPT AND GOVERNMENT ENTITIES (TEGE) DIVISION? Tax Exempt & Government Entities Division serves Employee Plans which examines the returns of qualified pension benefit plans compliance. Exempt Organizations ensures not-for-profit organizations meet tax-exempt status requirements. And, Government Entities ensures organizations meet their tax withholding and employment tax payment requirements.
See Other Information for LocationsLearn more about this agency
WHAT DOES A TAX LAW SPECIALIST (TAX EXEMPT BONDS) DO? As a Tax Law Specialist for the Tax Exempt Bonds program, you will be responsible for providing technical, analytical, and outreach activities directly related to the programs for which you are assigned. The work of this position includes organizing and administering the activities of the Bond Program to insure that customers are provided with appropriate guidance and assistance in helping them understand and comply with applicable tax laws, rules, and regulations. In this critical role, you will not only provide IRS tax compliance services, but will promote ongoing voluntary compliance with IRS tax system.
As a Tax Law/Exempt Bond Specialist you will:
- Confer with internal and external stakeholders to explain compliance, legal and other significant issues involved, and the applicability of pertinent tax laws, regulations and related filing requirements.
- Develop and administer educational programs including seminars and outreach programs to foster voluntary compliance with tax exempt bond issues.
- Develop audit guidelines and provide other forms of written and oral technical assistance.
- Analyze data including examination results to identify trends, issues and problems.
- Identify previously unknown potential areas of non-compliance requiring policy determinations, legal interpretations or law changes to promote voluntary compliance.
- Participate in technical issues and position meetings to resolve controversies impacting Tax Exempt Bonds.
- Provide expert technical and procedural assistance, and prepare technical responses to inquiries submitted by members of Congress, taxpayers, authorized representatives, and other external customers.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov.
Occasional travel - 1 to 5 nights travel per month.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/540631900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.