The incumbent of this position will work as a vital member of an essential team at VA Central Iowa Health Care System. As a Cook, you will coordinate and cook meals for Veteran patients as a member of the Nutrition and Food Service.Learn more about this agency
ResponsibilitiesDuties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Prepare and cook any or all food items in bulk quantities or individual servings for regular and/or modified diets required for morning, noon, evening, late meals, and/or special feedings under safe food handling guidelines.
- Utilize the computer to print food production worksheets, review menus, worksheets, recipes and determine type and quantities of items required for number of persons to be served and recipe requirements.
- Cut and trim to cooking size, and weigh or measure portions and ingredients for regular or modified diets in accordance with menus, recipes or other instructions. Able to prepare foods using more complicated cooking procedures such as adjusted recipes, using techniques such as boiling, baking, roasting, mashing, whipping, chopping, grinding, cutting, slicing, dicing, pureeing, and blast chilling.
- Prepares more foods using more complicated cooking procedures. Adjusts standardized recipes for the number of servings required in large quantity cooking, prepares modified diet foods, cooking gravies, sauces, soups without the use of packaged mixes and fresh/frozen vegetables.
- Effectively plans and organizes own work and coordinates work with that of others, to meet numerous deadlines. Performs duties independently, in accordance with written guides and established polices. Uses judgment in recognizing work objectives to accomplish these objectives.
- Assists in development and modification of standardized recipes, including detailed equipment lists. Performs yield testing for selected food items to determine the serving weight or volume after preparation and gather other test data to assist management in making purchasing and menu pricing decisions.
- Investigates problems and corrects issues through replacement for items received, quality concerns, etc., and reports these issues to supervisors.
- Cleans work areas, including refrigeration/freezer units, work tables/carts, equipment, floors, walls, shelving, etc. When opening cases, cans of supplies, takes empty boxes/cans to trash/recycling storage, etc. Follows established cleaning procedures.
- Demonstrates ability to perform lower graded tasks when necessary. Provides training or cross-training to other employees as directed. Assists others in food service/food production as needed.
Position Description Title/PD#: Cook/30158A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not authorized
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/539710100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.