Recruitment/Relocation Incentives: Not AuthorizedLearn more about this agency
The Veteran Health Education Coordinator functions as the designated focal point, coordinator, advocate, and liaison for all Veterans and family health education initiatives, programs, and activities. The incumbent works with facility management to assure that the Veterans Health Education Program contributes to the facility's mission, goals, and objectives.
The VHEC also serves as the principal point of contact for all Veterans health education communications and reporting within the facility, among the facilities in the Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN), with the Office of Veterans Health Education and Information (VHEI), and other program offices. The VHEC demonstrates leadership, experience, and creative approaches to the development and management of the Veterans Health Education Program. The incumbent provides consultation and training to interdisciplinary staff members regarding evidence-based health education interventions and skills, and health education program development to assure that Veterans health education programs, activities, and services meet quality standards.
The VHEC develops, manages, and evaluates facility Veteran-centered health education programs and services that are designed and developed in accordance with:
- Facility-specific health education policies and practices,
- VA-DoD clinical practice guidelines,
- VHA Clinical Preventive Services Guidance Statements,
- VHA Pharmacy Benefits Management Clinical Recommendations for Use and Therapeutic Interchange Guidance, and Patient and Providers Letters,
- TJC accreditation standards for patient education,
- Veteran-centered health education principles, and
- Health literacy guidelines and Veterans' learning preferences and delivery modalities.
- Participates in the establishment and review of pertinent policies and procedures.
- Chairs the Veterans Health Education Committee to assure interdisciplinary collaboration in the development of health education programs, activities, and services for Veterans and family members.
- Leads the facility's Veterans health education needs assessment and strategic planning processes, assuring the necessary interdisciplinary input to plan, implement and evaluate Veterans health education services across the facility's continuum of care.
- Works collaboratively across service lines to ensure that facility health education programs and materials adhere to VHA program requirements and accreditation standards, and that materials are culturally competent and accommodate the health literacy needs of Veterans and if appropriate, their family members.
- Securing Veteran and family member/caregiver input into the facility VHEI Program, and into programs and products for specific patient populations or diseases/conditions.
- Prepares, secures and manages the needed budget and other resources to support Veterans health education programs, products and services, and promotes cost-effective use of resources for Veterans health education.
- Provides regular reports to facility management on the status of Veterans health education programs, services and products.
- Abides by the VA's ethical standards of conduct and assures compliance with the ethical standards of VHA, the facility, and the profession.
- Increases staff awareness of ethical issues in health education and includes appropriate discussion of ethical guidelines in educational activities.
- Preserves the rights of others while serving as a patient advocate and promoting mutual respect among colleagues.
- Assures protection of Veteran and family rights; provides for and maintains confidentiality of patient information.
Work Schedule: Full-Time, Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/539362900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.