The Firefighter (Paramedic) provides fire protection for all persons, property owned and/or under the control of the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Fort Custer National Cemetery. Participates in all aspects of structural, wildland firefighting operations and rescue. Responds to medical emergencies and provides Advanced Life Support (ALS) treatment, care and transport to appropriate hospital. Provides mutual aid response to Fort Custer Industrial Park and Fort Custer National Cemetery.Learn more about this agency
Firefighter (Paramedic) duties will also include but are not limited to:
- Serve as a fully trained member of a firefighting crew engaged in a full range of emergency response to include: fire, emergency medical, hazardous materials, specialized rescue, and natural disasters.
- Control and extinguish fires, operates hose lines, performs fire ground operations to include forcible entry, ventilation, search and rescue and salvage and overhaul.
- Drive and operate a full range of complex vehicles and apparatus to include fire engines, technical rescue apparatus, ambulance, and response trailers, operating onboard systems.
- Determine an independent assessment of the patient's condition and selects from a variety of prescribed treatment protocols needed to be administered.
- Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation, including advanced life support techniques, such as IV insertion, intubation administration of drugs, etc., varying the approach for small children/infants/adults.
- Employ communicable disease control and containment measures.
- Performs crew building inspections to identify potential fire hazards.
- Driving firefighting apparatus to fires and positioning the vehicle in the correct location to ensure safety and need of the firefighting equipment.
- Responsible for initial assessment of risk including surveying, collection of hazard data and estimating the potential harm to people or the environment.
- Maintains and decontaminates common hazardous material response equipment and supplies.
- Assist in daily vehicle and equipment checks.
- Conduct maintenance tests on motorized fire apparatus assigned and make minor repairs/adjustments as needed, making sure to properly record tests and maintenance performed.
Telework: Not available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/538770700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.