The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has an immediate need to employ residents of the Tupelo, Ridgeland, Grenada, Hattiesburg and Yazoo, Mississippi areas as temporary local hires to assist with disaster response and recovery efforts. Local hire employees are local residents who aid in the recovery of the community and help their fellow citizens in the recovery process. Apply for this exciting opportunity!Learn more about this agency
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.
Local Hire employees:
- Help FEMA respond to, recover from and mitigate all hazards by performing a variety of emergency management functions which are not limited to disaster survivor assistance, conducting and verifying damage assessments, and providing administrative, financial and logistical support.
- A local hire’s term of employment is 120 days. Local Hire appointments may be extended, in 120 day increments, for a maximum 365 day appointment, based on the needs of the disaster.
- Work within 23 different Cadres which are groups of personnel organized by operational function and FEMA Qualification System (FQS) position.
- Each Local Hire is hired to a position within a Cadre based on his or her skills and experience.
FEMA is seeking candidates with experience in Hazard Mitigation, construction management, or engineering.
In this position, you will prepare Hazard Mitigation Proposals (HMP). Typical assignments include:
- Performing field inspections at disaster damaged sites for the purpose of gathering photos, dimensions, GPS coordinates, narrative notes, and any other relevant information.
- Writing reports to communicate field observations.
- Representing FEMA 406 Mitigation at the first formal kick-off meeting, or project scoping meeting between public assistance and an eligible applicant.
- Collaborating with stakeholders to develop a refined scope of work for the mitigation proposal as well as any other relevant supporting documentation, such as a detailed cost estimate, engineering study, construction codes and standards.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/538709800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.