Come Join Our Team of Chaplains who provide a complete range of spiritual care ministries to Veterans and their families. Such ministry encompasses all aspects of pastoral care, assuring that the religious, spiritual, moral and ethical issues faced by Veterans are addressed as part of the holistic care provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Chaplains work in an interfaith environment as members of a pluralistic chaplaincy.Learn more about this agency
Fee Basis Chaplain's primary duties are to include, but not limited to:
- Provide on-call response - carry pager during non-duty hours and returning to medical center when requested by staff and family, i.e., death of Veteran, pray with Veteran or family, etc. Pager duty will be scheduled and rotated based on availability.
- Provide fee base support as needed. Individuals, based on availability, may be requested to provide chaplain support during duty hours. Typically, this will involve visitation and pastoral care and completion of spiritual assessments.
The Chaplain has full responsibility for providing a complete religious ministry to Veteran patients and their families. The Chaplain assesses religious, spiritual, moral, and ethical problems and plans and provides appropriate ministration, including individual in-depth pastoral ministry to Veteran patients and their families.
- Interviewing Veterans to conduct spiritual assessments.
- Providing in-depth pastoral counseling to individual Veteran and family members and demonstrating sensitivity to the religious needs and requirements of each other and each individual Veteran.
- Arranging needed special services, including rites and sacraments and providing bereavement support when needed.
- Conducting weekly regularly scheduled services.
- Preparing and delivering sermons or formal worship services.
- Providing ward services for those individuals who are unable to attend regularly scheduled services.
- Conducting periodic needs assessments of assigned populations served by the facility.
- Developing programs of spiritual care that include spiritual assessment, direct pastoral care, and program evaluation components.
- Selecting religious materials that will be used therapeutically for assigned Veteran populations in collaboration of Chief Chaplain and Chaplain Department staff.
- Coordinating religious club meetings, religious awareness groups, and interfaith meetings as called for by population served.
- Evaluating the need for volunteer assistance in the religious program and to exercise appropriate supervision of volunteers utilized in the program.
- Serving as a mentor/preceptor for new chaplains, chaplain residents, and chaplain students.
- Providing counsel on medical ethical issues, such as Advance Directives, in the context of the Veteran's religious faith perspective.
- Communicating effectively with persons of diverse races, cultures, religions, nationalities, ages, and persons having varying types and degrees of disability to understand and address their specific needs.
- Providing support and encouragement to primary family members and friends to be present and supportive as they are able in response to regular and emergent needs of the Veteran.
- Participating actively on interdisciplinary teams, groups and committees to assure that the religious and spiritual dimensions of health and wellness are addressed in all aspects of the Medical Center's holistic Veteran care.
- Developing and conducting pastoral care classes concerning outpatient ministry and telehealth chaplaincy for the chaplain staff, residents and students.
- Advancing positive community relations through the development of relationships with local pastors, church groups and community organizations.
- Seeking other clinical staff chaplains or clergy person in the community for religious/pastoral care service that he or she cannot provide.
- Documenting care in electronic medical records and protecting sensitive information from loss, disclosure, or alteration.
Work schedule: PRN (As needed)
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/538620900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.