The Telephone Operator works as part of the VA Central Iowa Health Care System (VACIHCS) Business Office, providing telephone customer service to incoming and in-house calls for the health care system. The Telephone Operator operates the telephone system, records calls, and issues pages to on-call staff. The incumbent also performs administrative duties related to and in support of telephone operations for the health care system.Learn more about this agency
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Operates one of the console telephone systems within the VACIHCS main facility
- Receives and places local, long-distance and Federal Telephone Service (FTS) calls
- Places all international calls and records appropriate information for billing purposes
- Provides excellent customer service for incoming callers and in-house callers and answers questions of callers using various VACIHCS directories and transfers calls as requested.
- Maintains on-call schedule for those areas such as pharmacy, radiology, tissue typing, dialysis, nuclear medicine, etc.
- Assists in locating on-call employees or gives telephone number to authorized personnel
- Maintains an attitude and sensitivity that reflects a cooperative, compassionate, considerate and helpful manner with patients, visitors and other VACIHCS employees
- Updates the local phone directory as needed
- Demonstrates recognition of the worth of their customers and co-workers by treating them with dignity and respect.
Work Schedule: All days of the week, various tours from 6:00 AM-12:00 midnight
Telework: Not Available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position
Position Description/PD#: Telephone Operator/PD30337-A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/538617200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.