This position in located in the Office of Railroad Safety (RRS), Office of Technical Oversight, Positive Train Control/Signal and Train Control (PTC/S&TC) Division, Federal Railroad Administration (FRA). You will serve as the Staff Director for Positive Train Control and Signal & Train Control disciplines for the FRA's headquarters office.Learn more about this agency
The Supervisory Railroad Safety Specialist (Positive Train Control/Signal and Train Control) has the following responsibilities (this is not an exhaustive list):
- Direct planning, development, coordination, implementation, administration, and safety programs within FRA headquarters, as well as inform the activities involving the regions relating to PTC and S&TC, in support of FRA objectives, plans and missions. As PTC/S&TC Staff Director you will direct the PTC and S&TC staff in analyzing and overseeing the proper and safe development, testing, and maintenance of railroad signaling systems, as well as highway-rail grade crossing warning systems, and provide direction and guidance in monitoring the use of these systems.
- Plan, develop, coordinate, implement, administer, and direct Positive Train Control (PTC) and Signal & Train Control (S&TC), which includes both microprocessor based and conventional S&TC systems, programs within headquarters and the regions in support of FRA objectives, plans, and missions;
- Act as the FRA senior authority on the implementation of PTC and S&TC systems and components used in railroad operations, managing a comprehensive program of analysis, comparison, evaluation and review, approval, and implementation of these systems and components that impact the rail safety mission of the agency and national rail operations;
- Serve as a senior level management representative with senior railroad officials to oversee and coordinate testing of PTC and S&TC systems and components with management, labor, railroad suppliers and the public, on behalf of FRA;
- Maintain communications with regions and Railroad Safety Oversight Managers (RSOM) on PTC and S&TC program issues pertaining to railroad safety;
- Provide expert technical guidance to the FRA Office of Research and Development on PTC and S&TC safety research needs and the application of research results to support FRA's mission relating to PTC and S&TC;
- Interact with the rail industry, unions, and a wide variety of other private and public groups to explain and advance the goals of FRA with respect to PTC and S&TC safety.
- Perform administrative tasks for the division and direct reports, as well as make administrative recommendations on staff members and technical functions; and
- Serve as the FRA principal PTC and S&TC advisor to the Director, Office of Technical Oversight, and Chief Safety Officer within the Office of Railroad Safety, as well as the Office of the FRA Administrator, on all rail issues.
An ideal candidate for this position is a mid to senior-level professional with strong leadership skills, sound analytical skills and proficiency with identifying trends that can improve railroad safety. The candidate would have experience in leading programs involving the Positive Train Control (PTC) and Signal & Train Control (S&TC) systems, or related or similar experience within the railroad or transportation environment. Excellent written and oral communication skills are imperative. The ability to develop and present compelling technical presentations is required.
25% or less - Some travel is required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/538605800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.