The primary purpose of this position is to develop analytical tools and perform advanced operational analysis of data collected from satellites sensors that form the core of the US global space detection capability against nuclear events.Learn more about this agency
Organizational location of position is at: 23 ANALYSIS SQ, Patrick AFB, FL.
- Establishes technical operational requirements for the collection, transmission and analysis of all command satellite-borne Space and Atmospheric neutron, gamma and X-ray nuclear detonation data
- Attends briefings and workshops at HQ Air Force, Air Force Scientific Advisory Board, AFSPC, STRATCOM, DTRA., DOE, Arms Control Verification Committee, and other national-level agencies and committees
- Providing operations-oriented Space and Atmospheric Environmental analysis techniques for satellite nuclear detection systems
- Leads planning and execution of system data correlation efforts to satisfy new above ground operational (atmosphere and space) nuclear detection levels as specified in current national requirements
- Prepares, edits, and publishes scientific reports, notes, and other technical documents resulting in assigned studies, operational exercises, requests for information, and from studies and/or data analysis
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- All new DCIPS employees are required to complete a two-year DCIPS trial period.
- A security clearance may be required. Position is designated special-sensitive and requires eligibility for access to Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI), other intelligence-related Special Sensitive information
- PCS expenses if authorized will be paid IAW JTR and Air Force Regulations
- Recruitment incentives may be authorized
- This posn is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program
- Must be registered for Selective Service, see Legal and Regulatory Guide
- Position may be subject to random drug testing
- POLYGRAPH: Employee may be required to undergo random Cl polygraph examinations in accordance with security regulations involving material handled.
- The employee may be required to travel in military and/or commercial aircraft to perform temporary duty assignments.
- The employee may be required to work irregular duty hours.
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- Masters Degree or PhD in physics, remote sensing, or a related technical field is highly desired.
This is a GG-14 position in the Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). The GG-14 duties for the "Professional" work category are at the "Senior" work level and are equivalent to those at the GS-14 level.
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application.
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: 1310, PHYSICIST
Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree that included a major field of study or specific course requirements in physics; or related degree that included at least 24 semester hours in physics. NOTE: YOU MUST SUBMIT COPIES OF YOUR OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS.
Combination of experience and education that is college-level education, training, and/or technical experience furnished through knowledge of physical and mathematical sciences. The courses must be equivalent to a major in physics totaling at least 24 semester hours, plus appropriate experience or additional education.NOTE: This position has a positive education requirement. If transcripts are not provided, your resume MUST list the appropriate academic field (e.g. biology, mechanical engineering, economics, sociology, etc.) and all courses you have taken (including those failed), which appear to satisfy the qualification requirements of the position for which you are applying. List graduate and undergraduate courses separately. Include the descriptive title and course code, completion date, grade, number of semester, quarter or classroom hours (for education completed at business, secretarial, technical school or military schools) and graduate and undergraduate classes. **As of 1 Sep 2017, current employees must provide their transcripts. Failure to provide transcripts will result in not being referred for the position.**
IN ADDITION TO MEETING THE BASIC REQUIREMENT, APPLICANTS MUST ALSO POSSESS SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Your resume must reflect quality level of experience which demonstrates the possession of the knowledge, skills, abilities, and competencies necessary for successful job performance required for this position. Examples of creditable experience include: Subject Matter Expert (SME) in the field of sensor development, integration and operation of advanced neutron, gamma ray, and X-ray sensors using ground based, airborne and space based platforms for collection. Subject Matter Expert (SME) in the field of sensor development, integration and operation of advanced neutron, gamma ray, and X-ray sensors using ground based, airborne and space based platforms for collection. Note: Creditable experience may include previous military experience, experience gained in the private sector, or experience gained in another government agency.
To view qualifying educational requirements and/or combination of education and specialized experience click on the following link:
1. Subject Matter Expert (SME) in the field of sensor development, integration and operation of advanced neutron, gamma ray, and X-ray sensors using ground based, airborne and space based platforms for collection.
2. Advanced knowledge of nuclear detonation (NUDET) phenomenologies and sensors capable of collecting Space and Atmospheric Environmental data from such sensors in defined regions of the atmosphere and space.
3. Advanced skill in applying scientific concepts, principles, practices, standards, methods, techniques and procedures.
4. Experience with the planning, design, development, test, integration, and operation of field able Space and Atmospheric Environmental sensor systems.
5. Candidate should possess experience in transforming operational needs and mission objectives into functional requirements, performance parameters, and system designs.
6. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Knowledge of security procedures to maintain control of classified information and materials
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
ARE YOU USING YOUR EDUCATION TO QUALIFY? You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Current Federal Civilian employees may apply for temporary and term positions and if selected, a break in service of more than three (3) calendar days may be required prior to appointment to the position.
Temporary and Term Appointments: If you are selected for a temporary or term position, your appointment may be extended to the maximum period allowed by law without further competition.
90-Day Register: This announcement may result in a 90-day register that may be used to fill like vacancies for 90 days after the closing date. Applicants may be referred for consideration as vacancies occur.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
Selectees who physically reside permanently in the U.S., the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico or Northern Mariana Islands, and the Possessions of the U.S., during the entire recruitment process (application, selection, and acceptance of a formal job offer) and selected for employment in the foreign area are eligible to receive certain foreign area benefits such as: Living Quarters Allowance (LQA) or government quarters, Post Allowance, Home Leave, etc. (subject to approval)
Selectees who physically reside outside the U.S., the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico or Northern Mariana Islands, and the Possessions of the U.S., during any step of the recruitment process (application, selection, and acceptance of a formal job offer) will have foreign area benefits eligibility be determined on a case by case basis.
Tax Law Impact for PCS: On 22-Dec-2017, Public Law 115-97 - the "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 suspended qualified moving expense deductions along with the exclusion for employer reimbursements and payments of moving expenses effective 01-Jan-2018 for tax years 2018 through 2025. The law made taxable certain reimbursements and other payments, including driving mileage, airfare and lodging expenses, en-route travel to the new duty station, and temporary storage of those items. The Federal Travel Regulation Bulletin (FTR) 18-05 issued by General Services Administration (GSA) has authorized agencies to use the Withholding Tax Allowance and Relocation Income Tax Allowance to pay for "substantially all" of the increased tax liability resulting from the "2018 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" for certain eligible individuals. For additional information on these allowances and eligibilities, visit: https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/FTR%20Bulletin%2018_05%20Relocation%20Allowances_0.pdf
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application for this Public Notice:
- Online Application - Questionnaire
- Resume - must include beginning and ending month and year for each employment period
- Transcripts - if you are basing your qualifications on education or if the position requires education, you must submit copies of your transcripts
- Registration/License - active, current registration/license if applicable for the position
- Veterans' Preference - If you are claiming veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD Form 214, which must include character of service or a Statement of Service/Proof of Service which must include service dates and character of service. In addition, if claiming 10-point preference or 30% Disabled Veterans Preference you must submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces (or documentation of Purple Heart, if applicable) and a SF 15 (Application for 10-point veteran preference).
- If you are a current permanent federal civilian employee, you are not eligible to claim veteran's preference. Please upload a copy of your most recent SF 50.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 07/31/2019
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10542618
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Application button at the end of the process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications). If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent."
- It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name.
4.Return Rights:Per AFI 36-1101 - DCIPS employees have no statutory right of return to the previous position, unit, or geographic location.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application. The Vacancy ID is 10542618
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. You can access your USAJOBS account to do so by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Human Resources WILL NOT modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
Agency contact information
Total Force Service Center
550 C Street W
JBSA Randolph AFB, TX 78150
Once your application package is received an acknowledgement email will be sent.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application.Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility and qualifications for consideration. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select My Applications, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
If you do not provide an email address, you are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/538450100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.