WHAT IS THE LARGE BUSINESS AND INTERNATIONAL (LB&I) DIVISION? The Large Business and International (LB&I) business unit provides service and enforcement activities to support tax compliance of businesses and related entities with assets of $10 million or more, as well as small U.S. businesses engaged in international, U.S. citizens abroad, and foreign persons and businesses with a U.S. tax requirement.
See Other Information for LocationsLearn more about this agency
WHAT DOES A ECONOMIST DO? As an Economist, you will be an expert in the valuation of tangible and intangible products, services and assets, serving as an advisor and consultant to others such as revenue agents, international examiners, trial attorneys and management officials of the Internal Revenue Service. In this position, you will be responsible for the planning, execution and completion of research and analyses that require a wide variety of economic expertise.
As a Economist you will:
- Research and analyze complex tax transactions that cover a wide range of industries.
- Conduct microeconomic research to understand economic structure, business practices and functions, competitive conditions, trade barriers, government imposed barriers, financial markets, interest rates, technology transfers, and product life cycles.
- Review economic, statistical and tax data to determine the existence of a potential economic issue.
- Conduct research in source materials that include databases, professional journals, government publications, and studies by other economists. Research also includes interviews of key personnel in the taxpayer's organization, and other IRS experts. Research may also include interviews of industry, academic and government experts.
- Perform economic, statistical and financial analyses to determine the arm’s-length value of tangible and intangible products, services, and assets.
- Develop and execute effective work plans.
- Explain and defend research findings, both orally and in writing, to the taxpayer, taxpayer’s representatives, exam team, Appeals, Counsel, and other IRS personnel.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov.
Occasional travel - 1 to 5 nights travel per month.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/538209600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.