About the Position: This is a Modified Term appointment Not to Exceed 2 years and the activity has the option of extending the appointment up to a Maximum of 6 Years. Employees hired under the Modified TERM appointment authority may be eligible for conversion to career-conditional appointments.Learn more about this agency
- You will serve as a Supervisory Team Leader within the Soldier Protection and Survivability Directorate, Warfighter Protection Branch, Infantry Combat Equipment Team.
- Work includes supervising a multi-disciplined staff of scientist, engineers, textile, technologist, clothing designers, and product specialists that provide technical expertise and programming support towards:
- The research and development, test and evaluation, production and fielding of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and Organization Clothing and Individual Equipment (OCIE) for U.S. Marine Corps Systems Command and U.S. Army PEO Soldier.
- You will be responsible for leading the team?s customer support activities which encompass executing a wide range of actions required for the life cycle management acquisition, fielding and sustainment of PPE and OCIE.
- You will work across the Soldier Protection and Survivability Directorate to execute:
- Combat Capabilities Development Command (CCDC) Soldier Center core science and technology programs in the areas of Vulnerability Protection, Susceptibility Protection and Detectability.
- Ensure the CCDC Soldier Center strategic plan, mission, vision and values are communicated to the team, integrated into the team's mission objectives, deliverable work products and technical services being provided to its Army and USMC stakeholders.
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance.
- Appointment is subject to completion of one year trial period.
- Term appointment and it may be extended up to a total of 6 years. Contingent to specific conditions there may be an opportunity to be noncompetitively converted to a career-conditional or career appointment
- One year supervisory probationary period may be required.
- Financial Disclosure Statement OGE Form 450 will be required within 30 days of entrance to duty.
- Completion of mandatory acquisition Level III in Engineering must be accomplished within 24 months of assignment.
- You will be required to travel 25% of the time.
QualificationsWho May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
The US Army Combat Capabilities Development Command (CCDC), Soldier Center is participating in an alternative personnel system known as the Laboratory Personnel Demonstration Project (DEMO). Among other features, the Demonstration Project replaces GS grade levels with occupational families and pay bands. The pay band DB-03 is equal to the former GS-12 step 01 through GS-14 step 10. The pay band DB-02 is equal to the former GS-5 step 01 through GS-11 step 10.
BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENT FOR GENERAL ENGINEER SERIES 0801: A. Bachelor's Degree in professional engineering. To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
B. Combination of Education/Experience: college level education/experience that furnished (1) knowledge of physical/mathematical science underlying professional engineering & (2) understanding (theoretical/practical) of engineering sciences/techniques & applications to a branch of engineering. This must be demonstrated by: (1) Professional Engineer Registration or (2) Written test or (3) Specific Academic Courses - 60 semester hours in physical, mathematical, & engineering sciences or (4) Related Curriculum - Completion of bachelor's degree in engineering technology/professional field provided applicant has 1 year of professional engineering experience under professional engineering supervision/guidance.
BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENT FOR PHYSICAL SCIENTIST SERIES 1301: A. Bachelor's Degree: physical sciences, engineering or mathematics that included 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science such as mechanics, dynamics, properties of materials, and electronics;
B. A combination of education and experience: course work equivalent to a major as shown above, including at least 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Experience required: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared your to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: 1) Optimize operational performance, reliability and sustain organization products and systems; 2) Managing and supporting highly complex research and development programs; and 3) As a first line supervisor plans, develops, prioritizes and adjusts subordinate schedules and performance objectives to meet organization goals. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (DB-02). Please note: Pay Band DB-03 is equivalent to a GS-12 through GS-14 grade level and Pay Band DB-02 is equivalent to a GS-05 through GS-11 grade levels and Pay Band DB-02 is equivalent to a GS-05 through GS-11.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Ability To Lead or Supervise
- Customer Service
- Program/Project Management
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- This position requires you to submit a Public Financial Disclosure Report (OGE 278) or a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE450) upon entry, and annually thereafter.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 16 - Engineer and Scientist (Non-Construction) position.
- You may claim military spouse preference.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
- This position has an individual occupational requirement and/or allows for substitution of education for experience. If you meet this requirement based on education you MUST submit a copy of your transcript with your application package or you will be rated ineligible. See: Transcripts and Licenses
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section above.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 07/12/2019 to receive consideration
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application (https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10533540).
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
- Additional information on how to complete the online application process and submit your online application may be found on the USA Staffing Applicant Resource Center.
Agency contact information
Army Applicant Help Desk
AddressDB-APF-W1D1AA US ARMY CCDC SOLDIER CENTER
DO NOT MAIL
Natick, MA 01760
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/538063400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.