ResponsibilitiesThe incumbent of this position conducts economic research and analysis in the capacity of technical consultant and economic advisor, performing economic research and analysis in the context of Antitrust Division case work and competition policy more generally.
As an Economist in the Economic Analysis Group, responsibilities will include:
- Analyzing the likely effects on competition of horizontal or vertical mergers, the analysis of the effects of business strategies and practices undertaken by a single firm, and the analysis of the effects of agreements among firms and/or other economic agents.
- Analyzing the likely effects on competition and market outcomes of proposed changes in regulation, new regulatory rules, or proposed legislation.
- Testing whether a particular economic model is appropriate to the matter at hand, and drawing conclusions from theory to support a policy recommendation, often depending on measuring economic quantities and balancing offsetting effects.
- Determining useful sources of data and other relevant information to resolve critical issues identified by the theoretical framework.
- Identifying unresolved theoretical or empirical questions that have broader application to issues in antitrust analysis and competition policy.
- Undertaking research aimed at addressing unresolved theoretical or empirical questions, in the interest of advancing understanding and facilitating future analysis.
- Developing tools such as computer simulation models or estimation routines, oral or written presentations to colleagues at the Antitrust Division and other competition agencies, working papers, presentations at academic conferences and conferences of industry representatives or antitrust practitioners, and published articles in referenced journals.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to be considered for this position.
- You must undergo a pre-employment security investigation.
- You may be required to take and successfully clear a drug test.
- You must submit a complete application package by closing date of announcement.
- You must meet all qualification requirements by closing date of announcement.
- SELECTIVE SERVICE: All male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must have registered for the selective service (see http://www.sss.gov). If selected for this position, the applicant must sign a statement certifying his registration, or the applicant must demonstrate exempt status under the Selective Service Law.
- DIRECT DEPOSIT: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- This is a full-time, permanent appointment in the competitive service, eligible for inclusion in the bargaining unit.
- This is a non-supervisory appointment, subject to a one-year probationary period in accordance with 5 CFR 316.304.
- The Antitrust Division participates in the E-Verify program.
- When promotion potential is shown, the agency is not making a commitment and is not obligated to provide future promotions to you if you are selected. Future promotions will be dependent on your ability to perform the duties at a higher level, the continuing need for an employee assigned to the higher level, and administrative approval.
- Applications mailed using government postage and/or internal federal government mailing systems will not be accepted.
QualificationsTo qualify for this position, applicants must demonstrate ALL qualifications listed below:To qualify for the GS-15 level, candidates must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS- 14 level. Examples of specialized experience at this level include: analyzing effects of horizontal or vertical mergers; analyzing business practices for their propensity to create or protect market power; weighing an econometric analysis against a rebuttal presented by another economist; determining what factors explain the differences in results of competing economic analysis; and determining the reliability of econometric evidence based on appropriateness and limitations of data or methodology used, and the viability of the underlying economic model given other evidence.
BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL LEVELS:
Applicants must meet the requirements specified in paragraphs A or B below.
- A degree in economics that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus; OR
- A combination of education and experience -- courses equivalent to a major in economics, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:In addition to meeting the basic requirements, applicants must also meet the following conditions:
To qualify for the GS-13 level, candidates must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS- 12 level. Examples of qualifying specialized experience at this level include: applying statistical research techniques to collect and interpret data and developing new economic models or theories with assistance from senior researchers. To qualify for the GS-14 level, candidates must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS- 13 level. Examples of qualifying specialized experience at this level include: analyzing strategic behavior in multi-firm markets; identifying and estimating relevant demand elasticities; identifying and evaluating the effects of regulations or similar constraints on the profit-maximizing strategies of firms; and, identifying the significance of specific factors affecting a firm's entry to or exit from a market such as network effects, market structure, or exclusionary practices.
All academic degrees and coursework must be completed at a college or university that has obtained accreditation or pre-accreditation status from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools that meet this criteria, see www.ed.gov.
*In order to be considered for this position, you MUST submit a copy of your most recent transcript. Applicants using any education to qualify MUST submit copies of college transcripts or a list of college courses taken that identify for each course the college or university, semester or quarter hours earned, grade and grade-point received. An unofficial transcript is acceptable to qualify, however, it must include your full name. If selected, you may be asked to submit an official transcript prior to appointment.
SELECTIVE PLACEMENT FACTOR:
In addition to the Basic and Additional requirements specified above, applicants must also meet the Selective Placement Factor identified below:
To be found fully qualified for this position, you must clearly state, either in the body of your resume or as an attachment to your application, a narrative description of your experience conducting independent research that includes designing and executing a research plan employing current economic theories or empirical techniques to address issues of micro-economics or industrial organization.
Note: Failure to address this Selective Placement Factor will result in an unqualified determination for the position and your application will not receive further consideration.
See Qualifications section of announcement.
The Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provides eligible surplus and displaced competitive service employees in the Department of Justice with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. If your Department of Justice component has notified you in writing that you are a surplus or displaced employee eligible for CTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority if: 1) this vacancy is within your CTAP eligibility, 2) you apply under the instructions in this announcement, and 3) you are found well-qualified for this vacancy. To be well qualified, you must satisfy all qualification requirements for the vacant position and rate equivalent to the Highly Qualified or better category (80 or above) using established category rating criteria. You must provide a copy of your written notification of CTAP eligibility with your application. Additional information about CTAP eligibility is at: http://www.opm.gov/ctap/index.asp.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) provides eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over candidates from other agencies for competitive service vacancies. If your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority over other applicants who are not employees of the Department of Justice if: 1) this vacancy is within your ICTAP eligibility; 2) you apply under the instructions in this announcement; and 3) you are found well qualified
for this vacancy. To be well qualified, you must satisfy all qualification requirements for the vacant position and rate equivalent to the Highly Qualified or better category (80 or above) using established category rating criteria. You must provide proof of eligibility with your application to receive selection priority. Such proof may include a copy of your written notification of ICTAP eligibility or a copy of your separation personnel action form. Additional information about ICTAP eligibility is at: http://www.opm.gov/ctap/index.asp.
Veteran Preference: If you are entitled to or claim veteran preference (VP), you should indicate the type of veteran preference (5 or 10 points) you are claiming on your résumé. In order to determine your eligibility, you can find additional information at: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide/.
NOTE: To verify your veteran preference entitlement, please submit a copy of the Member Copy 4 of your DD-214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty); official statement of service from your command if you are currently on active duty; or other official documentation (e.g., documentation of receipt of a campaign badge or expeditionary medal) that shows your military service was performed under honorable conditions. (1) If you are claiming 10-point preference, you must submit Member Copy 4 of your DD-214 in addition to the supporting documentation required and identified on the reserves side of the SF-15, Application for 10 Point Veteran Preference. (2) If you are claiming 10-point DERIVED PREFERENCE as a relative you must submit Member Copy 4 of the veteran's DD-214, and an SF-15, Application for 10-point veteran preference, in addition to the supporting documentation required and identified on the reverse side of this form. If you fail to do so, you will receive consideration as a non-veteran.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be evaluated and rated under DOJ's Category Rating and Selection Procedures; however, this position may also be filled through OPM's Direct Hire Authority for Economists. In the event the position is filled through the direct hire authority, Veterans' preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to positions filled under this announcement. All applicants who meet the minimum qualification requirements will be forwarded to the selecting official for consideration. Applications received as a result of job fairs, recruitment events, and emergency hiring mechanisms in support of this hiring initiative will also be accepted during the duration of the direct hire authority. For more information on OPM's authorization of Direct Hire Authority, please visit http://www.opm.gov/employ/direct_hire/index.asp.
Otherwise, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the basic qualifications for the position listed in this announcement. Please Note: Basic qualifications will be determined based on a comparison of your resume against the quality and extent of experience or related education as reflected in the position requirements.
If you are found to be minimally qualified for this position, your resume and supporting documentation will be further assessed and compared to the responses of your occupational/assessment questionnaire. The rating you receive will be based on your responses to the Questionnaire. The rating is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the competencies, knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position, and will determine the rank in which you place (Qualified, Highly Qualified, or Best Qualified).
Your application will be further assessed based upon the following competencies, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Economic Reasoning
- Economic Research
- Communication of Economics
If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully as errors or omissions may affect your rating.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Required DocumentsTo apply for this position, you must provide a complete application package which includes:
- Cover Letter (optional).
- Résumé - Applicants will be evaluated based on a comparison of the position requirements against the quality and extent of experience or related education as reflected in their resume and cover letter. Applicants are encouraged to ensure work experiences, as represented in their résumé, clearly show the possession of knowledge of the subject matter pertinent to the position, and the competencies and technical skills to successfully perform the duties of the position.
- Completed Assessment Questionnaire.
- Response to Selective Placement Factor - You must clearly state, either in the body of your resume or as an attachment to your application, a narrative description of your experience conducting independent research that includes designing and executing a research plan employing current economic theories or empirical techniques to address issues of micro-economics or industrial organization. Failure to address this Selective Placement Factor will result in an unqualified determination for the position and your application will not receive further consideration.
- Your Transcript (unofficial transcripts accepted, however, if selected, an official transcript must be provided).
- Documentation of eligibility for special hiring authorities (if applicable) to prove appointment eligibility. Examples Include: Schedule A disability letter, Peace Corps volunteer letter, military spouse hiring authority documentation, etc.
- Veterans Preference Documentation (if applicable).
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 07/08/2019 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
Note: If you are unable to apply online, you must request an alternative application, which is available from the Human Resources Office. Please contact Office of Personnel at ATR.firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-514-2469 to obtain an alternative application.
EEO Policy Statement: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/EEO_Policy_Statement
Reasonable Accommodation Policy Statement: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Reasonable_Accommodation_Policy_Statement
Veterans Information: https://my.usajobs.gov/Veterans
Legal and Regulatory Guidance: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Legal_and_Regulatory_Guidance
Agency contact information
Office of Personnel
450 5th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20530
Once the online questionnaire is received, you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. After the announcement closes, we will conduct an evaluation of your qualifications based on the application we receive. Ranking will be determined based on responses to the Assessment Questionnaire. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 30 to 60 days of the closing date of this announcement.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/537874900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.