ResponsibilitiesThe incumbent of this position conducts economic research and analysis in the capacity of technical consultant and economic advisor, performing economic research and analysis in the context of Antitrust Division case work and competition policy more generally.
As an Economist in the Economic Analysis Group, responsibilities will include:
- Analyzing the likely effects on competition of horizontal or vertical mergers, the analysis of the effects of business strategies and practices undertaken by a single firm, and the analysis of the effects of agreements among firms and/or other economic agents.
- Analyzing the likely effects on competition and market outcomes of proposed changes in regulation, new regulatory rules, or proposed legislation.
- Testing whether a particular economic model is appropriate to the matter at hand, and drawing conclusions from theory to support a policy recommendation, often depending on measuring economic quantities and balancing offsetting effects.
- Determining useful sources of data and other relevant information to resolve critical issues identified by the theoretical framework.
- Identifying unresolved theoretical or empirical questions that have broader application to issues in antitrust analysis and competition policy.
- Undertaking research aimed at addressing unresolved theoretical or empirical questions, in the interest of advancing understanding and facilitating future analysis.
- Developing tools such as computer simulation models or estimation routines, oral or written presentations to colleagues at the Antitrust Division and other competition agencies, working papers, presentations at academic conferences and conferences of industry representatives or antitrust practitioners, and published articles in referenced journals.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/537874900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.