VA Eastern Kansas Health Care System serving at the Leavenworth and Topeka facilities, seeks a board certified or board eligible Ophthalmologist. We are a complexity level 1C facility. You will be responsible for providing care for a diverse group of veterans.Learn more about this agency
DUTIES may include but not limited to:
- The Ophthalmologist will function as an integral member of the Eye Clinic Team Specialty Clinic and Surgery with clinical and surgical responsibilities.
- The Ophthalmologist will specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of medical and surgical diseases and conditions of the eye, its related structures, and visual pathways.
- Ophthalmologists perform non-medical treatments including prescriptions of lenses and aids for low vision. They provide medical and surgical therapies as well.
- The physician typically trained to perform surgery, including the use of lasers, on the orbit, extraocular muscles, anterior and posterior segments of the eye, and surrounding structures, as well as intra-ocular injections. Must have the ability to do cataract extractions with lens implantations.
- To be certified as an ophthalmologist by the American board of Ophthalmology (ABO), physicians must have at a minimum, four years of residency training, including three specializing in ophthalmology, in an approved residency program and perform satisfactorily on the written qualifying and oral certifying exam.
- Further training in subspecialties or related areas or techniques such as complex orbital fractures, retinal disease, pediatrics, glaucoma, corneal disease, and neuro-ophthalmology is desirable.
- Privileges can include, but are not limited to: admission, diagnosis, and treatment of patients of all ages presenting with disorders of the eye, its related structures and visual pathways. The privileges include the provision of consultation as well as the ordering of diagnostic studies and procedures related to the ophthalmologic problem.
You may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program. The Education Debt Reduction programs offers eligible applicants up to $200,000 (tax free!) for reimbursement of qualifying educational loans. Please contact Human Resources at this medical center and speak with the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information.
A recruitment/relocation incentive may be authorized for this position.
Permanent Change of Station (PCS) is authorized for highly qualified applicants. PCS is the relocation of a household in connection with a transfer between duty stations or facilities (exceeding a 50 mile radius). For more information go to http://vaww.fscdirect.fsc.va.gov/pcs.asp .
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel between the Topeka and Leavenworth campuses.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/537767800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.