This specialty modality uses high frequency sound waves and other diagnostic techniques for medical purposes. The Medical Instrument Technician (MIT) must be competent in the production, use, recognition, and analysis of ultrasound images and patterns used for patient diagnosis and treatment. The MIT (diagnostic ultrasound) is required to perform a full range of procedures including special complicated examinations for which there are no standard instructions or procedures.Learn more about this agency
This Medical Instrument Technician (MIT), Ultrasound, position is assigned to the Diagnostic Imaging Service at the Montana VA Fort Harrison location. At the full performance level the incumbent is responsible for a variety of duties, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Performing diagnostic ultrasound examination on multiple areas of the body, including, but not limited to, the abdomen, pelvis, transvaginal, chest, small parts, thyroid, breast, and scrotum.
- Performing vascular studies such as vertebral, renal artery, aortic aneurysm, portal-systemic shunts, etc.
- Configuring and adjusting the ultrasound equipment to meet the conditions of the examination and the patient and to operate the equipment for more complex, but standardized procedures.
- Utilizing the principles of ultrasound and equipment to assess and improve technical quality of each scan. This includes: preparation and supplies, scanning motions, Time Compensated Gain (TCG), zoom or expansion, prospectus, color Doppler, and pulsed echo Doppler, hard copy, picture oriented examination, organ-oriented examination.
- Controlling technical factors on ultrasound unit, which will affect time, gain, amplitude, velocity, frequency, attenuation, absorption, reflection, scattering, refraction and diffraction. Selects between non-focused, fixed-focus, linear phased array, an annular phased array.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday; 8:00 to 4:30 or as agreed upon with the possibility of extended hours and weekends.
NOTE: Candidates must be willing to work weekends, irregular work hours and extended hours. The candidate must be willing to be assigned to other related services and/or locations, if necessary.
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: May be Offered
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/537290300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.