The Anticompetitive Practices Division investigates potential anticompetitive practices in industries other than healthcare and digital platforms, and litigates any resulting enforcement actions. Recent areas of ACP focus include high-technology industries and issues at the intersection of antitrust and intellectual property law. Prior experience in these areas is welcomed, but not required.Learn more about this agency
At the highest level the incumbent prepares for trial and litigates or negotiates settlements in restraint of trade matters. More specifically:
- Makes initial determinations as to whether investigations should be opened; determines legal theories and plans for investigations, and carries them out; drafts associated memoranda and reports.
- In light of the evidence and the applicable legal precedents, determines whether a complaint should be brought, settlement may be appropriate; or the case should be closed without further action.
- Prepares proposed complaints and related legal documents needed during the various stages of the investigation and litigation, such as memoranda, trial briefs, subpoenas, motions, answers, depositions, proposed findings of fact and conclusions of law, proposed cease and desist orders, and appeal briefs.
- Negotiates settlements as appropriate.
- Confers and corresponds with attorneys, businessperson and other members of the public, including prospective witnesses and other interested parties.
- In concert with other divisions and offices, prepares industry guidance and conducts workshops on competition policy issues.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/536876900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.