This position is located in Therapeutic & Diagnostic Imaging (TDI) at the Dayton VA Medical Center and is directly supervised by Supervisor/Chief Therapist of Radiation Oncology Section. Incumbent performs technical work in support of Radiation Oncology under the direction of a physician.Learn more about this agency
ResponsibilitiesDelivers prescribed therapeutic radiation for the purpose of cancer and abnormal cell growth treatments These treatments are performed by utilizing a Linear Accelerator. The Radiation Therapist is a vital member of the health care team in the Radiation Oncology Department individuals responsible for administering, monitoring, and documenting the prescribed course of treatment from the radiation oncologist. In the Radiation Oncology department, the Radiation Therapist are required to have knowledge and skills to operate diverse modalities. The equipment; Linear accelerator with on board imaging(OBI) for treatment and localization, n C CT Scanner for CT/ Simulations, Block cutter for custom electron blocks, Aria for recording and verifying treatment information and eclipse for treatment planning.
- Independently Apply ionizing radiation to the patient in accordance with the prescription and instructions of the radiation oncologist.
- Monitor, and document the radiation treatment prescribed by the radiation oncologist.
- Provide patient care by responding to patients' physical psychological, and emotional needs during the course of treatment.
- Utilize the principles of tumor localization in planning and simulation of the treatment course.
- Position patients accurately for radiation therapy treatments.
- Establish a respectful, effective working relationship with the physicians, nurses, social workers, Chaplin and other health care providers in the interdisciplinary management of cancer in order to minimize the emotional effects of cancer and its treatment on our patients.
- Maintain daily quality assurance records and regularly inspect the treatment machines to ensure safe, efficient, high quality patient care. Perform daily morning quality Assurance on equipment linear accelerator, OBI and Cat Scan.
- Understand & apply the use of radiation exposure factors & radiation safety measures.
- Prepare therapy rooms with supplies and equipment.
- Interpret and carry out the requests made by physicians
- Transfer patients from stretcher or wheelchair to treatment table
- Properly identify patient and area to be treated which is essential so that mistaken identity does not occur
- Make certain that the patient ID band and the patient chart are identical.
- Responsible for setting up and positioning patients, create patient immobilization equipment for treatment; Vac bags, H&N Mask, etc.
- Observe patients during procedures and report complications or unusual events.
- Perform computer work for credit of patient visits, complications and /or quality improvement activities of the Radiation Oncology Department.
- Maximize patient throughput by contacts with escort, ward secretaries, nursing personnel, etc.
- Maintain a clean work area and adequate level of supplies with in assigned work areas at all times.
- Provide clinical instruction to student Radiation Oncology technologist from affiliated program and facilitate the attainment of established program objectives.
- Practice radiation safety in order to reduce exposure to patient, staff and self. Assure compliance to radiation regulations wear film badges; be aware of and practice safety policies/procedures of the medical center and participate in quality assurance activities as directed.
- Responsible for the image QA & positioning prior to transmission through ARIA to be approved by the Radiation Oncologist.
- Maintain cleanliness of water bath as directed by the manufacturer.
- Provide education to patients and their families on radiation therapy process (Explain procedures to patient).
- Perform clerical duties related o patient care.
- Schedule patient clinical appointment using ARIA and Veterans Health Information Systems and Technology Architecture (Vista)scheduling options; use established business rules to schedule appointments for veterans, and enters administrative notes in the Computerized Patient Records System (CPRS) - includes clinic visits, comply with mandatory training requirements for the patient scheduling process.
- In the absence of the supervisor, contact Biomedical Engineering or the service vendor to arrange forservice.
- Ensure relationships with supervisors and co-workers (Therapist)are consistently courteous and cooperative in nature, and overall contribute positively to the effective operation of the Radiation Oncology department.
- Actively seek out work when assigned tasks are finished.
- Interaction with physicians, physicists, Dosimetrist will be a normal occurrence of the daily duties of the therapist, along with patient interactions
- Check all equipment and reports failures to the Chief Therapist
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/536580300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.