The positions are located in the BCP, Division of Privacy and Identity Protection. The Division oversees issues related to consumer privacy, credit reporting, identity theft, and information security. The Division enforces the statutes and rules within its jurisdiction, engages in outreach and policy development, and educates consumers and businesses about emerging privacy, credit reporting, and information security issues, as well as identity theft prevention and assistance.Learn more about this agency
As a General Attorney (Trade Regulation), you will:
- Make initial determinations as to whether matters should be investigated and determine legal theories and plans for investigations and carry them out.
- Recommend whether cases should be closed, resolved informally or through administrative or federal court settlements, or litigated administratively or in federal court; negotiate settlements as appropriate.
- Assist in investigating matters and preparing cases for trial by securing and preparing evidence, conferring with witnesses, participating in pretrial conferences, examining and cross-examining witnesses, and drafting legal documents needed during the various stages of litigation.
- Try cases before the Commission's Administrative Law Judges or before federal district courts.
- Prepare, or assist others in the preparation of, difficult, complex, and important cases.
- Confer with other government agencies, public authorities and attorneys, business people, consumer advocacy groups, and other members of the public, providing them with information on matters of law, Commission procedure and policy.
- Assist in conducting regulatory activity and other initiatives, including rule-makings, studies, reports, and workshops.
The Division's work often involves technical issues relating to network or device security, digital certificates, online tracking technologies, or emerging technologies. Accordingly, a background in technology is a plus.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/536539600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.