A RECRUITMENT AND/OR RELOCATION INCENTIVE UP TO $15,000 MAY BE AUTHORIZED FOR HIGHLY QUALIFIED CANDIDATES.Learn more about this agency
This position, located in the Anatomic Pathology and Histopathology section of the Pathology & Laboratory Medicine Service, VA Medical Center, Manchester, NH, serves as a Histology/Surgical Grossing Technologist & assumes responsibility for surgical, cytology, & autopsy specimens after they are received ensuring the identity of specimens is maintained through all stages of preparation.
- Receives and/or obtains specimens using appropriate techniques, maintaining proper identification;
- Performs all elements of gross examination and sectioning of all types of surgical pathology specimens;
- Prepares specimens for analysis according to the specifications of the procedure;
- Handles all types of human tissue which may include; receiving, checking, accepting, timing, logging, storing and/or shipping, if necessary;
- Provides technical guidance to ensure all tissues are properly oriented when embedding them, according to established procedures and depending on the type of specimen being prepared (e.g. shave biopsies on edge; core biopsies to demonstrate the maximum amount of tissue);
- Accessions and prepares all cytological specimens including sputa, body secretions, fluids, ThinPreps and fine needle aspirates;
- Prepares frozen tissue sections for special immunological studies which includes selecting, freezing, cutting (microtomy) and staining tissue and employs the cryostat;
- Investigates and resolves problems related to surgical pathology;
- Teaches and trains other laboratory personnel to perform stains and maintains QA files of blocks and slides needed to perform special stains in the laboratory;
- Performs photography of gross specimens and maintains a teaching collection of gross and microscopic photographs;
- Performs special staining which requires microscopic differentiation for acceptance, examines slides microscopically and accepts or rejects them based on proper staining reaction within the control slides;
- Prepares all stains and chemical solutions with a competent, practical knowledge of chemistry; and
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Recruitment & Relocation Incentives: May be authorized for highly qualified candidates up to $15,000.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/536494400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.