WHAT IS THE WAVE AND INVESTMENT DIVISION? The Wage & Investment Division (W&I) serves about 122 million taxpayers who file upwards of 94 million returns each year. W&I provides high-quality taxpayer assistance, and enable taxpayers to transact and communicate electronically to file their returns and make payments.
See Other Information for Locations.Learn more about this agency
WHAT DOES A TAX LAW SPECIALIST DO? As a Tax Law Specialist you will be responsible for exercising independent judgment, and perform technical work of exceptional difficulty and responsibility. You will serve as reviewer, coordinator, consultant, and advisor regarding matters of technical content involved in the initiation, development, and revision of tax return forms, instructions, schedules, taxpayer information publications, tax law training materials, and other technical tax law material. The reviewer is instrumental in the development of timely, well-written materials for use by the public to increase their understanding of tax responsibility; and by the IRS in administering the tax laws, achieving voluntary compliance, and collecting revenue.
As a Tax Law Specialist you will:
- Review proposed and final drafts of technical tax material to insure technical accuracy, reliability, and consistency.
- Provide expert technical advice and prepare background information documents relating to the cause of problems.
- Research and analyze proposed and current legislation for technical content, feasibility of incorporation into taxpayer information publications, and administratability of conversion into forms and instructions.
- Research material, including tax treaties, judicial and administrative decisions, revenue rulings and revenue procedures, and requests, develop implementation plans and complexity analyses.
- Coordinate to ensure technical content is accurate, reflects current tax law and ensure that products are logically arranged and written in clear, easy to understand language.
- Maintain current awareness of changes in the tax law, regulations, rulings, administrative decisions, and determine the effect on tax products.
- Prepare announcements and news releases with respect to tax forms, instructions, publications, and related technical materials.
If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Occasional travel - 1 to 5 Nights a Month
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/536433000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.