WHAT IS THE SMALL BUSINESS/SELF-EMPLOYED (SB/SE) DIVISION? The Small Business/Self-Employed (SB/SE) Division provides examinations and taxpayer education services for about 7 million small businesses and upwards of 33 million self-employed and supplemental income taxpayers.
See "Other Information" for Locations.Learn more about this agency
WHAT DOES A TAX EXAMINING TECHNICIAN DO? As a Tax Examining Technician you will resolve inquiries regarding tax account issues such as tax delinquency, adjust taxpayer accounts and provide information about general Service procedures. In this role, you will analyze and take appropriate actions as identified in the specific position for which you are applying. Your assignments may include communicating with taxpayers and their representatives regarding their accounts on notices issued. If you are selected for a bi-lingual position you will communicate with taxpayers in Spanish as well as English.
As a Tax Examining Technician you will:
- Evaluate all available information and take corrective actions, such as credit transfers requests, re-computed tax, and/or penalty and interest.
- Access relevant systems to view and/or update taxpayers' accounts regarding payments received, review status of the case, and/or to make account adjustments.
- Enter data into automated system to adjust tax, penalty, and/or credit adjustments.
- Recognize indications of tax fraud; make determinations and use sound judgment concerning taxpayers' data and responses.
- Gain cooperation of taxpayers by explaining the best options available to resolve the problem or question, mutual interests, and to make sure they understand their responsibilities.
- Interpret the law as it relates to the issues and if affects the performance and efficiency of the Internal Revenue Service.
- Educate taxpayers on action(s) needed to achieve compliance with tax filing/liabilities.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Occasional travel - 1-5 nights per month
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/536376900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.