FACILITIES MANAGEMENT & SECURITY SERVICES (FMSS) DIVISION customers are IRS employees. FMSS identifies and delivers value-added, cost efficient, shared service solutions, that facilitate the success of the IRS mission
See Other Information for locations.Learn more about this agency
WHAT DOES AN ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION SPECIALIST DO? Incumbent strives to make the government more environmentally friendly, green and sustainable by implementing/managing an Environmental Management System for a major IRS facility fulfilling the guiding principles of the IRS Environmental, Safety and Health Policy. Reduces the environmental impacts and health and safety risks of our operations, products, and facilities by; preserving human and natural resources through reducing risks and practicing good environmental stewardship; developing plans and programs to continually improve our ESH performance; integrating ESH considerations into all business plans; implementing pollution prevention practices and ensuring compliance with federal, state and local ESH laws.
As an Environmental Protection Specialist you will:
- Develop environmental policy for IRS; directing the development and implementation of facility level Environmental Management System (EMS) or Compliance Management Plan (CMP). Direct and oversee the IRS compliance and EMS auditing program.
- Manage and maintain the overall IRS ESH Policy and IRS EMS policies.
- Oversee environmental compliance at the territory and facility level; evaluating environmental compliance; assisting field personnel with complex compliance issues including Title V air permits, SPEDES permits, Tier II reporting etc.
- Develop training, promotional, educational materials to provide continuing education opportunities for field personnel; Develop measures and provide analysis to determine the effectiveness of environmental and safety programs.
- Interpret federal, State and local environmental regulations for their applicability to specific operational conditions at facilities through out the country.
- Review activities for major construction projects to ensure they are carried out in accordance with all applicable environment, safety and health regulations and to prevent potential negative environmental and/or safety impacts.
- Serve as representative of the Director in contacts with professional and trade associations, officials of the Treasury Department, representatives of other government departments and agencies, OMB, Congress, and the public. Interpret national environmental directives for their applicability to the IRS environmental program and formulates broad policy direction regarding the implementation of these directives.
- Advise top management on complex environmental matters.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Occasional travel - Travel may be required 1 to 5 nights per month
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/536210000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.