WHAT IS THE SMALL BUSINESS/SELF-EMPLOYED (SB/SE) DIVISION? The Small Business/Self-Employed (SB/SE) Division provides examinations and taxpayer education services for about 7 million small businesses and upwards of 33 million self-employed and supplemental income taxpayers.
See "Other Information" for Locations.Learn more about this agency
WHAT DOES A TAX SPECIALIST CAMPUS TAX COMPLIANCE OFFICER DO? As a Campus Tax Compliance Officer, you will be responsible for planning, classifying, screening and assisting IRS office examinations and related investigations of taxpayers. You will determine and advise on Federal tax liability as well as conducting analysis of the taxpayers’ financial condition and related operations. In this position, you will also provide limited tax law and tax related accounting educational assistance for internal and external customers.
As a Tax Specialist (Campus Tax Compliance Officer), you will:
- Plan and conduct independent limited examinations of a variety of individual and business taxpayers involving complex tax issues and accounting records.
- Classify and screen individual and business tax returns and allowance cases showing changes in tax liability.
- Classify returns received as the result of transfer, special handling requirements, or collateral requests.
- Review Collection referrals and Criminal Investigation referrals for examination potential.
- Advise taxpayers of their rights as defined in the examination and appeal guidelines, the actual examination procedures, current tax and reporting responsibilities and the importance and benefit of meeting future responsibilities.
- Determine and consider the collectability of potential tax deficiencies at all stages of the examination.
- Provide guidance and limited training on technical tax law and accounting policies, practices, and principles as it relates to pertinent tax law modifications.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Occasional travel - 1-5 nights per month
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/536148400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.