The Wage & Investment Division (W&I) serves about 122 million taxpayers who file upwards of 94 million returns each year. Key W&I objectives are to provide high-quality taxpayer assistance, and to enable taxpayers to transact and communicate electronically to file their returns, make payments and receive assistance. W&I partners with private organizations to provide assistance to such disadvantaged groups as elderly and low-income taxpayers.Learn more about this agency
See “Other Information” for Locations
WHAT DOES A CLERK (INITIAL ASSISTANCE REPRESENTATIVE) DO? As a Clerk (Initial Assistance Representative), you will serve as the first point of contact for all customers coming into the Field Assistance walk-in site. You will work with taxpayers and tax practitioners needing tax assistance, as well as, a variety of other individuals including higher-level management from Headquarters, IRS officials, news media and individuals who need to be directed to other offices. In this role, you will be responsible for assessing/determining the taxpayer needs and then directing them to the appropriate individual or area. You will also work to control the walk-in area traffic flow and demands.
As an Initial Assistance Representative Clerk you will:
- Provide assistance by assessing taxpayer needs and directing them to the appropriate individual.
- Analyze and suggest resolution to reduce barriers impacting the effectiveness of operations and improve efficiency of the work area.
- Assist taxpayers with inquiries on basic tax law, forms, and IRS services such as W-2, W-7, obtaining an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, filing requirements, filing status, and VITA locations.
- Examine returns, supporting documents, and monetary receipts for completeness and discrepancies.
- Use word processing and other software to produce a variety of correspondence in proper format, with responsibility for procedural and grammatical accuracy, factual correctness, and adequacy of treatment.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Occasional travel - 1 to 5 Nights a Month
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/536073300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.