Duties listed below are performed at the GS-9 full performance level. The incumbent selected at the GS-5 or GS-7 grade level will be at the trainee level and duties are designed to provide further orientation in the application of academic theories and basic principles to safety and occupational health work. The incumbent will receive formal and on-the-job instruction and training designed to assist the incumbent to progressively move up to the GS-9 grade level duties.Learn more about this agency
The Safety and Occupational Health Specialists work with supervisors, union officials, and safety and occupational health committees to eliminate or control hazardous operations or conditions. The incumbent assumes responsibility for one or more safety program elements. He/she performs survey to work to identify and evaluate increasingly more complex hazards and to recommend corrective actions where the potential for injury or property damage exists. The employee also supports higher graded staff in developing appropriate training materials for VA employees and other staff within the occupational safety and health function. Duties include but are not limited to:
- The employee is responsible for one or more safety program elements and applies specialized knowledge and a deep understanding of safety and occupational health principles
- The employee performs audits and inspections of work sites and is able to identify and evaluate increasingly more complex hazards; prepares technical repots of inspections findings; and develops corrective actions
- The employee provides support for accident investigations to ascertain causes and to develop preventive safety measures
- The employee assists with training employees and lower-grade safety staff in specific program requirements
- The employee provides support for the Safety & Environment of Care Board (SECB) and other committees within the Service
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Safety and Occupational Health Specialist/PD1070240
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/535685600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.