The Technical Career Field (TCF) is a national workforce development program within VHA that was designed to replenish technical staff in critically identified positions.Learn more about this agency
The TCF career fields represent those technical fields where VA-specific knowledge and experience is desirable for success in the field. Individuals selected follow a formal training plan for two years during which they are trained, coached, and supervised by a preceptor. Preceptors are selected annually, through an extensive application process, for their technical expertise, their commitment to training and the suitability of their facility as a training location.
*Selectees will be required to sign Mobility, Training, and Continued Service Agreements.
Upon completion of internship, placement will be at one of the following locations within VISN 15:
Poplar Bluff, MO
St. Louis, MO
Kansas City, MO
Eastern Kansas (Topeka/Leavenworth)
This is a developmental position leading to a GS-11, performing assignments intended to broaden skills and provide practical experience leading to progressively more complex assignments performed under progressively less supervision. The selectee may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level.
- Incumbent administers safety and occupational health activities.
- Performs survey work to identify and evaluate hazardous and non-hazardous industrial work operations and conditions and to recommend corrective procedures where the potential for injury or property damage exists.
- Participates as a member of a team led by a higher-graded specialist.
- Conducts a limited segment of a major inspection
- surveys non-ionizing radiation sources, the use of machine guards, and chemical storage areas
- drafts reports of findings proposing corrective measures for unsafe conditions and hazardous work practices.
- Conducts independent inspections of small, privately-owned firms where exposure and type of hazard is predictable in advance.
- provides informal instruction to work leaders and employees covering a variety of standard, general safety, and occupational health subjects including mishap prevention and safe working practices.
- analyzes accident and injury reports, studying data to discover trends and mishap causes and to develop recommendations for eliminating or controlling the hazards detected.
Telework: Not Available
Position Description Title/PD#: Safety and Occupational Health Specialist/ #101-00989-A
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/535451200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.