This position is part of the R8-Klamath Falls Fish and Wildlife Office. In this position, you will serve as the Water Quality Specialist, responsible for water quality and hydrology, particularly related to surface water resources in the Upper Klamath River Basin.Learn more about this agency
Evaluate the status of water quality as it affects fisheries resources and also evaluates the impacts of water resource use, and then uses this information to provide for viable restoration efforts for threatened and endangered aquatic species.
Provide compilation, analysis, and interpretation of data using current and appropriate statistical and modeling techniques. Provide assessment and reports of current and potential water quality conditions based on analysis and evaluation of water quality investigations and supporting physical and biological information.
Design and implement studies, analyze information, interpret results, and report water quality data and hydrology modeling that support habitat and management actions designed to improve conditions for threatened and endangered aquatic species.
Review, interpret, and summarize complicated technical hydrology, hydraulic or water quality data, data analysis, and reports.
Maintain and manage internal databases, models and software for water quality program and provides for export or distribution of information to public accessible databases (example: EPA's WQX (STORET).
Establish and maintain working relationship with Service programs, Federal and State agencies, tribes, universities, private sectors and the public.
Act as technical consultant and advisor on the planning, coordination, development, and execution of water quality investigations.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service
- Suitability for employment, as determined by background investigation
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period
- Direct deposit of salary payments to a financial institution is required
- Must apply for Govt. travel charge card if expected to travel
QualificationsOnly experience and education obtained by the closing date will be considered.
BASIC QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS - ECOLOGY, GS-0408: In order to meet the basic qualification requirement for the GS-0408 series as an Ecologist, your application materials must demonstrate you have completed a full 4-year college degree in biology, or a related field of science underlying ecological research that included at least 30 semester hours in basic and applied biological sciences. These hours must have included at least 9 semester hours in ecology, and 12 semester hours in physical and mathematical sciences.
BASIC QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS - HYDROLOGY, GS-1315: In order to meet the basic qualification requirement for the GS-1315 series as an Hydrologist, your application materials must demonstrate that you meet either A or B below:
A. Completion of a full 4-year college degree in physical or natural science, or engineering that included at least 30 semester hours in any combination of courses in hydrology, the physical sciences, geophysics, chemistry, engineering science, soils, mathematics, aquatic biology, atmospheric science, meteorology, geology, oceanography, or the management or conservation of water resources. The course work must have included at least 6 semester hours in calculus (including both differential and integral calculus), and at least 6 semester hours in physics. Calculus and physics, as described above, are requirements for all grade levels.
B. Combination of education and experience -- course work as shown in A above, plus appropriate
experience or additional education.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENT: In addition to meeting the Basic Qualification Requirement outlined above, you must also meet the additional qualifications for each grade level you wish to be considered.
To be found qualified at the GS-11 grade level, your application materials must demonstrate either A, B, or C below:
A. Have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-9 grade level in Federal service. Specialized experience is defined as: 1) assist in compiling, analyzing, and interpreting of ecological or hydrological data using current and appropriate statistical and modeling techniques; 2)
assist in planning, conducting, and reporting of studies to evaluate the water quality; 3) use computer programs and hydrologic models to predict hydrologic changes; 4) assisting in managing databases, models and software for water quality program. NOTE: To qualify under this option, your resume must contain sufficient detail to prove you have one year experience performing these duties.
B. Have completed 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or equivalent doctoral degree in a field directly related to ecological or hydrological research, which provided the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the work this position. Three years of graduate education is considered to be the number of credit hours that your graduate school has determined to represent three academic years of full-time study. If you do not document your school's definition, 54 semester hours (or 81 quarter hours) is considered as satisfying the requirement for three years of full-time graduate study. NOTE: To qualify under this option you must submit transcripts (official or unofficial) to verify your education.
C. I have a combination of specialized experience (as described in A above) and more than one year of graduate education (as described in B above). Only graduate education beyond the 1 full year (18 semesters) is creditable using this method.
To be found qualified at the GS-12 grade level, your application materials must demonstrate that you have at least one year of full-time specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the Federal Government (this experience could have been gained internally or externally from the Federal Government) that demonstrated knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of this position. Specialized experience is defined as: 1) compiling, computing, analyzing, and interpreting ecological or hydrological data using current and appropriate statistical and modeling techniques; 2)
planning, conducting, and reporting technical hydrology, hydraulic or water quality data; 3) use computer programs and hydrologic models to predict hydrologic changes; 4) maintaining and managing databases, models and software for water quality program. NOTE: To qualify under this option, your resume must contain sufficient detail to prove you have one year experience performing these duties.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Promotion Potential: This position involves a multi-grade career ladder. The major duties listed represent the full performance level of GS-12. At lower grade levels, you will perform assignments of a more limited scope and with less independence. You will progressively acquire the background necessary to perform at the full performance level of GS-12. Promotion is at the discretion of the supervisor and is contingent upon satisfactory performance, availability of higher level work, and availability of funds.The selectee may be promoted without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level.
PROOF OF EDUCATION: All applicants who are using education or a combination of education and experience to qualify must submit copies of official or unofficial transcripts which include grades, credit hours earned, major(s), grade point average or class ranking, institution name, and student name. If any required coursework is not easily recognizable on transcripts, or if you believe a portion of a particular course can be credited toward meeting an educational requirement, you must also provide a memorandum on letterhead from the institution's registrar, dean, or other appropriate official stating the percentage of the course that should be considered to meet the requirement and the equivalent number of units. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable; however, if you are selected for the position, you will be required to produce the original official transcripts.
PASS/FAIL COURSES: If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society.
GRADUATE EDUCATION: One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
This announcement is being advertised concurrently under R8-19-10510630-KL-MP for current and former federal employees serving under a competitive service career or career-conditional appointment or reinstatement eligible. You must apply to each announcement separately if you wish to be considered under both recruitment methods.
Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP): These programs apply to employees who have been or may be involuntarily separated (e.g. reduction in force, declining to relocate/transfer outside their local commuting area) from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet CTAP or ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified with a score of 85 or above; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP or ICTAP eligibility (e.g., Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal or Removal Notice; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; or Removal and most recent performance appraisal.). For more information visit: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/
To register or verify your registration go to the Selective Service System at https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx
FWS has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval.
We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 90 days of 06/10/2019If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application: https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information.
PCS Move is authorized as follows: travel and relocation expenses including reimbursable real estate expenses will be authorized in accordance with the Federal travel regulations excluding contractor-provided home sale. All moving expenses are taxable.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the basic qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you meet the basic qualifications your resume and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience which resulted in you being listed in the highest quality category, you may lose consideration, or be assigned to a lower quality category for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Knowledge of hydrology and biology to apply ecologic principles and practices to management and habitat restoration activities targeted at aquatic organisms.
- Knowledge, ability and experience sufficient to analyze water quality and hydrologic field/lab data using current and appropriate techniques, including modeling and statistical methods.
- Skill and ability to effectively communicate technical information to a wide range of
audiences through reports and presentations.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people and work effectively as a team member.
- Qualified: Meets minimum qualifications established for the position, but fails to meet the benchmark definition for the Well Qualified category.
- Well Qualified: Demonstrates overall competency in the knowledge, skills, and abilities of the position.
- Best Qualified: Demonstrates high proficiency and comprehensive level of knowledge, skills, and abilities of the position.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-point veterans' preference, you must attach a copy of your DD-214 showing you were honorably discharged. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must attach an SF-15," Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" in addition to the proof required by that form.
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
- Resume or Application. At a minimum, your resume MUST contain job title (include job series and grade, if federal), duties, starting and ending dates (month and year), hours worked per week, and salary. USAJOBS has a template to ensure a complete resume. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YX7o1PBoFk
- Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Official or unofficial College Transcript(s) required. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. A copy of your official transcripts will be required if you are selected. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
- Veterans' Preference documentation, if applicable (e.g., DD-214 Member Copy 4 showing type of discharge/character of service, SF-15 Form and related documentation, VA letter, etc.)
- If applicable, documentation/proof that you are eligible Career Transition Assistance Program/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program documentation, if applicable (e.g., Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal.)
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
- Review the Appointment Eligibility Criteria: The eligibility section of the application process is designed to allow you to choose how you wish to be considered for this vacancy announcement. You will ONLY be considered for the appointment eligibilities that you selected. You must provide proof of your eligibility as required by appointment eligibility to be considered.
- Resume or Application. At a minimum, your resume MUST contain job title (include job series and grade, if federal), duties, starting and ending dates (month/day/year), hours worked per week, and salary. USAJOBS has a template to ensure a complete resume.
- You must also complete the online application and assessment questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
- Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is received. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
- You will be considered for all eligibilities for which you select "yes" and submit the required documents and supporting documentation (e.g. DD 214, Schedule A letter, etc.). The supporting documentation you submit will be used to determine your eligibility. Please review the list of documentation provided in the eligibilities language to ensure you provide the appropriate information.
- Please note, your eligibility will be based solely on the selections you have indicated "yes" in this section. You must provide the supporting documentation to support your claim to be considered. You may choose more than one eligibilities in this section.
- To view the assessment questionnaire, click here: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10510629
Agency contact information
AddressDivision of Human Resources
Division of Human Resources
2800 Cottage Way
Sacramento, CA 95825
Next stepsOnce you submit all the required documents and the online application in USAJOBS, you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. After the evaluation process is complete, you will be notified of your status and/or referral to the hiring official. If further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted by the customer office.You will be notified if this job is filled or canceled. Timelines for this process vary widely.You may check the status of your application at any time by logging in to your USAJobs Account as we will not be responding to inquiries about the status of applications as long as the system has been updated.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/534866400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.