This position is part of the Organization of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. This position is located in the Joint Staff (JS), Directorate of Management, Office of the Comptroller, Accounting and Reporting Branch (ARB). The incumbent serves as a staff accountant responsible for developing, coordinating, and promulgating accounting policies and procedures for the JS Comptroller in the Accounting Branch.Learn more about this agency
As a STAFF ACCOUNTANT at the GS-0510-14 some of your typical work assignments may include:
- Serves as an expert advisor to supervisor, senior managers, and colleagues on all areas of professional accounting policies and procedures.
- Conducts expert analysis of budgetary reports and financial statements and interprets financial reports using an in-depth understanding of, and familiarity with, generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Develops and manages the JS Financial Improvement and Audit Readiness (FIAR) Program and represents the JS at the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller) [OUSD(C)] FIAR committee meetings.
- Serves as acting Branch Chief as directed during the absence of the supervisor and performs leadership duties that ensure the mission, goals, and objectives of the branch are met while the supervisor is out of the office.
- Conducts internal audits of the JS accounting system and financial management reports using audit techniques designed to identify improper general ledger posting logics, tie-point analytics, abnormal balances, and internal control weaknesses
- Develops training designed to educate JS workforce on proper accounting and reporting policies and procedures in order for staff to carry out systems and process improvement efforts, and pass audit scrutiny.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/534050200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.