The Boiler Plant Operator is responsible for general maintenance and operation of the boiler plant. Work is assigned on a long-term, as well as on a day-to-day basis. The incumbent performs regularly scheduled preventive maintenance and repairs boilers, safety devices, pumps and other equipment throughout the boiler plant. The incumbent prepares the boilers for safety inspections.Learn more about this agency
Duties include but not limited to:
- Operation, maintenance and repair of three (3) water tube boilers of 600 H.P. each issuing a continuous flow of 24000 lb. per hour and one water tube boiler of 400 H.P. issuing continuous flow of 6,900 lbs per hour at 120 lb. pressure.
- Responsible for the boiler room and the auxiliary equipment consisting of electronically controlled automatic firing equipment, electronically driven feed water pumps and electronically driven fuel oil pumps, fuel oil heaters, feed water heaters, condensate pumps, regulating valves, etc.
- In charge of conditioning boiler water taking tests for phosphates, sulfite, alkalinity and P.H. and total dissolved solids contents.
- Put idle boilers into operation and on the steam line when director or when required in emergencies.
- Operate, maintain and repair two 270,00 gallon tank water softener system located in Central Heating Plant.
- Take periodic reading on fuel oil meters, make-up feed water meters, flow meters and calculate fuel consumed, make-up feed water used and steam produced.
- Preventive maintenance and maintenance repairs including blowing soot off of boilers, keeping combustion chambers clear of soot and ash when boiler is taken off line.
- On all pumps, pack stuffing boxes, pack all types of valves, keep reducing valves in good working order.
- Cleaning of the fire sides and water side of boilers, brick work in boilers, cleaning of fan blades on draft fans, cleaning of fuel oil heaters, scraping and painting of surge tank and maintain brine transfer pump for water softener operation.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities of the Incumbent:
- Must have good reading ability so as to keep abreast of new methods in the field.
- Must have knowledge of flame failure controls, and SCADA controls, how they operate and the ability to locate the reasons for their not operating.
- Must have the ability to concentrate on all phases of plant operation as to the efficiency or deficiency of the plant and to foresee possible development of mechanical trouble.
Preferred Certification: Valid High-Pressure license such as Operator Engineer, Red Seal or Black Seal Boiler Operator license; Required by the city of Philadelphia.
Promotion Potential: WG-5402-09 (Boiler Plant Operator) is at the full promotion level.
Work Schedule: Rotational shift work - 8 am - 4:30 pm; 4 pm - 12 am; 12 am - 7 am
Position Description Title/PD#: /PD# 00238-A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not authorized
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/533798600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.