This Medical Records Technician (ROI) position will be filled at the Fort Wayne, IN campus of VA Northern Indiana Health Care System.Learn more about this agency
Current, permanent employees of VA Northern Indiana Health Care System will receive first consideration.
The duties in this position are primarily advisory and technical in nature. The incumbent is responsible for the following:
- Evaluating the adequacy of each completed authorization form.
- Screening each request for information to determine urgency.
- Assuring that the most urgent requests are completed first using established priority systems.
- Greeting veterans/visitors and assisting them with determining the nature of their request and whether the information they requested can be released.
- Applying public laws, rules, regulations and exclusions governing confidentiality of the medical record, including the Privacy Act, Freedom of Information Act and 38 U.S.C. 7332 governing the release of records.
- Processing all incoming requests to the facility for Release of Information along with information required by the VA Regional Office, referring only problem cases to the Supervisor.
- Evaluating the validity of each request and ensuring the proper authorization exists before release is made.
- Inputting all requests into the ROI computer package for logging and tracking of these requests.
- Receiving and/or giving out forms and assisting with their completion.
- Searching records or files to compose responses, including electronic searches to retrieve and summarize hard-to-locate data.
- Communicating with patients and/or third parties to resolve discrepancies, sorting out errors and reconstructing past transactions.
- Processing Social Security requests for health information using ROI software.
- Completing and processing routine releases of information to other VA and Federal Agencies when requested within established time standards.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/533646500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.