This position is Software Architect for the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT), a project that links radio dishes around the world to create a virtual Earth-sized telescope with the highest resolving power possible from the surface of our planet. On April 10, the EHT announced the first image ever made of a black hole. The incumbent will work with a team that includes engineers, theoreticians, software developers, astronomers, and imaging algorithm experts, all united by a common science vision.Learn more about this agency
- Lead development of state-of-the art cloud processing architecture for EHT data processing. Work with EHT director and EHT data processing team, collaborators and students on software architecture and design.
- Play key role in benchmarking, code development and operational flow of a cloud-based EHT data processing system based on the above architecture, including full documentation.
- Guide industry partners in adapting commercial data capture appliances for VLBI field data acquisition.
- Work with EHT scientists to integrate algorithms for VLBI data processing and analysis, including correlation, calibration, time domain, and imaging into production software.
- Contribute to new areas of development for observation or funding proposals.
In addition to the duties at the GS-14, the incumbent at the GS-15 will:
- Will be responsible for benchmarking, code development and operational flow of a cloud-based EHT data processing system based on the above architecture, including full documentation.
- Lead industry partners in adapting commercial data capture appliances for VLBI field data acquisition.
- Identifying new areas of development for observation or funding proposals.
25% or less - Travel nationally and internationally may be required to attend conference, collaborate, etc.
15 - If selected at the grade 14, the incumbent may be non-competitively promoted to the grade 15 upon meeting all legal and regulatory requirements, and upon recommendation of the supervisor.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/533527800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.