Join the team! This position is located in the Office of Hazard Identification and Reduction, Directorate for Laboratory Sciences, Division of Chemistry (LSC) at the CPSC National Product Testing and Evaluation Center. The LSC Division is responsible for testing and evaluating consumer products including children's products, household cleaners, fireworks, etc., for chemical and explosion hazards.Learn more about this agency
The Division is responsible for providing the full range of professional Chemical, Physical properties and pyrotechnic expertise required for the analysis and evaluation of the safety and compliance to agency regulations for all classes of consumer products. The selectee will serve as an expert Chemist providing the full range of professional expertise, advice and assistance to management, senior staff and others in the scientific discipline chemistry. The selectee's responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serves as the Commission's expert on the full range of hazards containing chemical products. Provides expert professional advice and assistance to management and all organizational elements throughout the Commission on the composition, physical properties, release/migration of chemicals, etc. of all types of consumer products.
- Develops technical test procedures for application to this wide and varied array of consumer products required to assess the chemical composition, properties and function of the products.
- Directs or conducts testing of consumer products to identify product deficiencies, associated with the composition, potential release or migration of chemicals as required by regulations.
- Develops comprehensive technical written evaluations of the products. Plans, schedules, monitors and reviews product tests conducted by Laboratory Sciences personnel or outside Laboratories.
- Provides professional and technical advice and assistance to other senior chemists throughout the Directorate in cases requiring advanced expertise in analytical chemistry pertaining to analysis of products under test.
- Develops technical requirements, test methodologies for analysis of consumer products that incorporate voluntary and mandatory product standards. Devises product test and evaluation programs in conjunction with these requirements, specifications and/or standards. Serves as a Commission expert in Chemistry for the development of product performance standards for the evaluation of proposed standards for this broad array of product classes.
Occasional travel - Up to 25% travel in Local Commuting Area
14 - This position is at the full performance level.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/533150000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.