Experience Your America and build a fulfilling career by joining the National Park Service (NPS) as we prepare for a second century of Stewardship and Engagement. Become a part of our mission to connect with our past and create important connections to the future by building a rich and lasting legacy for the next generation of park visitors, supporters and advocates.
This vacancy may be used to fill additional positions as vacancies become available.Learn more about this agency
This is a full-time position located within the U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service (NPS), Office of the Comptroller, Accounting Operations Center (AOC), Receipt and Debt Management Team (RDMT) and Payment and Travel Management Team (PTMT) in Herndon, VA and serves as a Lead Financial Specialist performing financial management work related to the financial activities of the National Park Service (NPS).
The purpose of this position is to analyze and evaluate financial data to better track and assist NPS management with the efficiency and effectiveness of managing and budgeting their financial accounts. The position also assists higher graded financial analysts, accountants and other bureau financial management employees in providing accounting and financial management services to the NPS. The Accounting Operations Center is the centralized financial headquarters of the NPS. The AOC provides a variety of services to the NPS units, program offices, employees, contractors, and customer/vendors.
At the full performance level (GS-11) the major duties of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provides daily operational support to team members and assists higher graded financial analysts, accountants and other bureau financial management employees in providing accounting and financial management services to the NPS.
- Recommends adaptation of established procedures to eliminate problems or improve the operations under study.
- Analyzes and evaluates financial data to better track and assist NPS management on the efficiency and effectiveness of managing and budgeting of their financial accounts.
- Reviews and analyzes financial reports generated by the automated system, identifying problems and discrepancies, and determining if adjustments or corrections are required.
- Participates in the preparation of recurring financial management reports, statements, and supporting justifications by performing problem analysis, ensuring data integrity and consistency, preparing related financial documentation, and adapting financial management procedures to satisfy reporting requirements.
- Assists Regional and Departmental contacts, and other agencies in resolving financial management issues which may include fielding status calls, answering policy questions, and developing service wide reports.
- Evaluating financial system software by preparing test scenarios for new releases, enhancements, and existing features of the software, and by conducting actual testing and documenting results.
The National Park Service has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval.
GS-09: $56,233-$73,105 per annum. GS-11: $68,036-88,450 per annum. First time hires to the Federal government normally start at the lower salary range of the grade level.
This vacancy may be used to fill additional positions as vacancies become available.
Security Clearance Required: You will be required to obtain and maintain a Public Trust Background Investigation if you are selected and hired for this position.
This vacancy is also announced as NPS-19-IB-020(MP) for those applicants who wish to apply and be considered under Merit Promotion procedures.
Relocation expenses are not authorized. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid. Any travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the responsibility of the selected employee.
This is a permanent career/career conditional appointment.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/533051300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.