This position is located in the Division of Consumer Response and Operations (DCRO) in the Bureau of Consumer Protection (BCP) at the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). BCP, through its consumer protection work in seven divisions and eight FTC regional offices, carries out the Commission's mandate to protect the American public from unfair and deceptive acts and practices in commerce.Learn more about this agency
If selected for this position, you will provide intelligence to both FTC and external law enforcement authorities concerning consumer complaints, law enforcement actions and other data maintained by the FTC. As part of your responsibilities, you will support the Consumer Sentinel Network (CSN). Consumer Sentinel is a secure Internet web site available to law enforcement authorities throughout the United States and Canada. It includes a searchable data bank of consumer complaints received by the FTC and external data contributors, as well as a host of other information concerning telemarketing, unsolicited commercial email and identity theft.
To support this program, you will perform the following duties:
- Develop methods to extract data from CSN or from data obtained during the course of investigations and to transmit this information to the appropriate internal and external users, including FTC management and staff at all levels as well as external parties including members of Congress, other government agencies, FOIA requesters and media outlets.
- Leverage analytics and visualization tools (Tableau) to present information in a way that drives fact based decision-making.
- Develop new analytical reports and represent large, complex sets of data through visual representation.
- Automate and optimize data extraction, cleaning, processing and analysis functions.
- Query and mine large data sets, including text data, to discover patterns, using traditional or advanced techniques such as machine-learning.
- Regularly use various relational databases, SQL Server, MYSQL, etc to query databases.
- Use python (pandas, numpy), R or other programing languages to analyze large datasets of structured or unstructured data.
- Energetically work with teams to create data products for a wide-range of stakeholders.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/532988900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.