This is a WG-6 Cook position. It is location at the Jefferson Barracks Division of the VA St. Louis Medical Center. The incumbent will work both alone and along with other cooks and food service workers to prepare and cook a variety of items, including both regular and special diets.Learn more about this agency
- Prepares soups, stocks, broths, gravies, sauces and puddings, without use of packaged mixes.
- Mixes and prepares cold sauces, meat glazes, and molded pies and salad dressings.
- Makes a variety of dessert items such as cobblers, cakes and brownies.
- Roasts, broils, bakes, fries, boils, steams and stews meats, fish and poultry.
- Prepares cold food platters such as ham, and roast beef and salads
- Slices meat items by hand or on a slicer, conforming to specific size requirements or weight specifications.
- Performs yield testing for selected food items to determine the serving weight or volume after preparation and gather other test data to assist.
- Adjusts standardized recipes for the number of servings required in large quantity cooking.
- Gathers other test data to assist management in making purchasing decisions.
- Plans cooking process to produce complete meals on time and at the proper temperature.
- Coordinates cooking of several items with different cooking times and characteristics.
- Maintains proper temperature for all foods during holding, transport, reheating and serving to assure quality control and food safety.
- Maintains rotation of food inventories to prevent spoilage.
- Operate specialized equipment to cook food in large quantities and to rapidly chill and store the prepared items under refrigeration.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday to include holidays, 7:00am - 3:30pm
Position Description Title/PD#: / 7284a
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not authorized
Bargaining Unit: Eligible
Duty Station: Jefferson Barracks Division, but may be changed to another VASTLHCS location at any time, based on the needs of the medical center.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/532826400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.