This Senior Level (SL) vacancy is for a Telecommunications Advisor in the Office of Audit and Evaluation (OAE), located at the U.S. Department of Commerce (DOC), Office of Inspector General (OIG), in Washington, DC. As the Telecommunications Advisor, you will serve as the senior adviser responsible for performing telecommunications oversight duties related to the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) and the First Responder Network Authority (FirstNet).Learn more about this agency
The Telecommunications Advisor:
- Provides operational direction to the Office of Inspector General (OIG) on wireless, satellite, broadband and spectrum related projects within the Department of Commerce (DOC), providing expert opinion on telecommunications engineering policy and performance issues. Reviews technical publications and attends technical committee meetings. Leads briefings to Inspector General and other personnel on data obtained from these meetings and publications.
- Serves as Senior Advisor to auditors performing audits in conformance with Government Auditing Standards (Yellow Book). Provides data to support oversight planning, audit conclusions, findings, and recommendations and ensures that necessary information is contained within audit working papers. Provides leadership and training to OIG auditors on technical reviews related to telecommunications programs, including documentation reviews, technology assessments, system performance tests, network design, equipment use, and inventory management systems.
- Reviews contractor and subject matter documentation to build, operate, and maintain the NPSBN. Prepares recommendations for public audit or evaluative OIG reports and briefings concerning actions for approving or modifying basic system plans.
- Reviews National Public Safety Broadband Network (NPSBN) and related programs, among other things. The objectives of the reviews are to (1) assess how effectively NTIA and FirstNet are implementing their programs, including management controls, contractor oversight, and program office staffing and (2) assess FirstNet’s efforts to ensure the design, construction, operation, and future upgrades of the NPSBN.
- Reviews system cost studies, which include estimates of engineering costs and construction costs of proposed systems or system upgrades. Reviews reports with details on proposed grade of service, building plans, subscriber equipment, wireless telecommunications equipment, and outside plant facilities. Assesses pricing information used for evaluating bids. Makes recommendation for OIG reports regarding the award and modification of contracts and approval of force account methods of construction and installation.
- Analyzes specifications for conformance to contract terms, basic system plans, correct engineering applications, appropriate best practices, adequacy of proposed facilities, and compliance with environmental requirements. Makes recommendations for OIG reports on budget control of construction and engineering funds of grantees and contractors, for engineering analysis of requisitions for advances, for reviewing final inventories of completed construction, and for reviewing final statements of engineering fees.
- Reviews correspondence and other communications regarding approval or modification of plans and specifications, the work performed by field personnel pertaining to OIG audits of the NPSBN such as system design, preparation of plans and specifications, delivery and inspection of contract artifacts, and technical operation and maintenance matters.
- Leads in providing technical support for all complaints, including but not limited to complaints to the OIG Hotline received by OIG related to Commerce telecommunications programs.
- As required, takes a lead role in drafting responses to inquiries from Congress. This could include the briefing of and testifying before members and staff on issues relating to program status, findings, responses to member concerns, and potential legislation. Responsible for contributing to the preparation of written testimony and responding to questions.
- Provides advice and assistance to OIG auditors, evaluators and consulting engineers concerning the engineering construction and technical operation and maintenance of NPSBN communications systems and facilities. Reviews and recommends changes to policy directives and staff instruction, as necessary.
- As required, makes site visits to provide engineering expertise to field auditors to verify that the technologies and equipment selected is adequate and is meeting the intended objectives of the projects.
- Provides OIG leadership in the following additional areas related to telecommunications: discussions with federal /nonfederal stakeholders and other organizations such as the Government Accountability Office (GAO); and, development of departmental guidelines for technical reviews, risk assessments, fraud indicators in equipment purchases and product substitutions.
- As needed, provides similar leadership for audits and reviews of other Departmental programs (e.g., NIST’s Communications Technology Laboratory, NOAA satellite programs), including technical support for system reviews, network design and technology selections, system performance testing of equipment, and assessments of inventory management systems and other Commerce programs.
Occasional travel - Occasional domestic travel may be required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/531939000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.