This position is being announced under FEMA's Cadre of On-call Response/Recovery Employee (CORE) Program. This is a temporary appointment in the Excepted Service, not to exceed 2 years, with the option to extend based on workload and funding availability. Veterans Preference does not apply to the CORE selection process.Learn more about this agency
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.
When disaster strikes, America looks to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
In this position, you will review and evaluate projects covering the repair, reconstruction, and rehabilitation of disaster damaged public and private nonprofit facilities.
Typical assignments include:
- Performing technical writing functions, requiring substantive knowledge of the various functional areas of emergency management and of the specialized terminology required;
- Writing and/or editing technical materials, including appeals and audits, reports of research findings, and policy/regulations in technical areas;
- Managing various Public Assistance and Fire Management Assistance program needs and components of the organization required for rapid Federal response to Presidentially declared major disasters and emergencies under the provision of Public Law 93-288;
- Providing assistance to the affected people, States and local governments including disaster damage assessment teams, public assistance field offices, and other field offices and operations elements as directed;
- Serving in various management, supervisory roles in the administration, coordination, and delivery of disaster assistance operations;
- Examining each assigned project and program to ensure legal and technical compliance with the provisions and criteria of the Disaster Relief Act of 1974 (Public Law 93-288);
- Analyze information relative to the public sector on developing situations to determine potential for a gubernatorial request for a Presidential declaration of an emergency or major disaster; when delegated direct the operations of the public assistance elements of the integrated Federal, State, local and voluntary agency damage assessment teams, collating and evaluating the resultant findings to determine the impact of the incident on public facilities, structures and systems; and
- Providing input to the analysis, summaries, conclusions and recommendations on the incident based on the combined damage assessment for the Regional Administrator's approval.
Promotion Potential: Positions filled under Stafford Act regulations generally do not have documented promotion potential; however, dependent on an employee’s ability to perform higher level duties, the continuing need for an employee to perform work associated with a higher level position, and administrative recommendation and approval, promotions may be earned by CORE employees.
Occasional travel - Occasional non-emergency travel may be required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/531300300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.