An Information Technology Specialist (Security) vacancy is open at DOL, BLS, Office of Technology and Survey Processing, Directorate of Technology and Computing Services, Division of Technology and Network Management, Data Center and Telecommunications Branch (DCTB).Learn more about this agency
This position is inside the bargaining unit.
This announcement may be used to fill like additional positions.
The mission of DCTB is to provide for planning, building, testing, implementing, operating, securing, and managing the BLS data center, network, telecommunications environment, and to provide cybersecurity sustainment operations. This encompasses reliable, secure, and performance-tuned routing, firewall configuration, and well-designed circuit provisioning to ensure a stable platform for agency voice communications, video networking/teleconferencing services, wireless communication, Virtual Private Network/remote access services, time-sensitive data delivery, and National-level Continuity of Operations capability. DCTB ensures systems are available, stable, changeable, and securable.
The incumbent of this position will serve as a member of the Bureau’s Firewall Team for the Local Area Network (LAN)/Wide Area Network (WAN). The primary responsibilities of this position are to support work relating to cybersecurity operations and ensuring incorporation and implementation of appropriate IT security controls and policies in a LAN/WAN based client-server computing environment. This includes providing advice/guidance to BLS staff on a variety of complex IT security issues, firewall security appliances, virtual private network/remote access, and web content filtering. The incumbent will also support the firewall team with maintaining confidentiality, integrity, and availability of systems, networks, and data necessary to develop and implement new IT security methods by performing the following:
- Supporting the firewall team with installation, configuration, and maintenance of IT platforms. This includes utilizing firewall solutions, load balancers, and intrusion detection/prevention systems necessary to ensure compliance with and monitor operational IT security requirements and systems uptime within identified escalation time-frame parameters.
- Supporting cybersecurity technologies and operational IT security projects. Interpreting existing IT policies, standards, and guidelines for the organization and assisting with the policy development process and improvement procedures for firewall, network, cable-plans and data center teams.
- Monitoring local and remote application performance issues and resolves, or determines proper escalation procedures. Troubleshooting efforts to resolve local/remote application performance issues involving complex network and firewall protocols/logs to isolate problem-sources, and implement corrective actions.
- Identifying and performing hardware and software configuration, and ensures that all system configurations have an adequate backup schedule. Performing back-end and system log back-ups in accordance with BLS IT Security Standards.
- Identifying the need for changes based on new security technologies, threats, or "leading/cutting-edge” technological advances. Participating in development of IT security systems that anticipate, identify, evaluate, mitigate, and minimize risks associated with IT system vulnerabilities.
12 - This position is at the Full Promotion Potential.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/530993200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.