This position is located in the Tensas County FSA Office, in Saint Joseph, Louisiana.Learn more about this agency
This position is employed by the local Farm Service Agency (FSA) committee(s).
- Responsible for directing and managing program and administrative operations for one or more counties.
- Carrying out permanent and ad hoc farm bill programs and policies established by USDA as well as crop insurance operations under policies established by the Risk Management Agency (RMA).
- May perform farm loan program assignments based on authorities delegated.
- Performing office and field activities as needed to accomplish program objectives.
- Managing and directs activities of subordinate staff.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a US Citizen or US National.
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be Selective Service Registered or Exempt.
- Must be a high school graduate or equivalent.
- Must be 18 years of age or 17 years of age for high school graduates.
- Subject to satisfactory adjudication of background investigation and/or fingerprint check.
- Direct Deposit - Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial institution.
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit https://www.e-verify.gov/.
- Successful completion of one-year supervisory/managerial probationary period, if required.
- Financial Disclosure Required (FSA-324).
Qualifications** Additional Clarification from the Agency;
OPEN TO LOUISIANA FSA EMPLOYEES ONLY.
In-State County Operations Trainees (COT) who have successfully completed the COT program or are within 30 calendar days of successfully completing the COT program.
Qualifications are in accordance with requirements in Handbook 27-PM.** Specialized experience is defined as experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and is typically in or related to the work of the position being filled. To be creditable, specialized
experience must have been equivalent to at least 1 year in the next lower grade level.
Applicants must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements by the closing date in the announcement, including the following specialized experience and/or education, as identified below:
** You may start at the CO-09 level if you have one of the following qualifications:
- One year of specialized experience directly related to the functions of the position to be filled or equivalent experience in a related activity at the next lower grade level. Experience in providing program interpretation, and instruction for an agriculture program area or operational phases of farm loan programs. Such work experience included acquiring data and providing information to producers, farm loan borrowers and farming operations; writing summary reports; assisting staff with policy guidance; arranging and scheduling activities of subordinates to complete technical/clerical review.
- One year of specialized experience directly related to the functions of the position to be filled or equivalent experience in a related activity at the next lower grade level. Experience in independently conducting agricultural operation or in participating in the overall administration of one or more agricultural program areas. Such work experience included actively participating in the development or implementation of local farm program policies; applying knowledge of agricultural principles; making presentations or providing training; planning and organizing work of lower level employees.
- One year of specialized experience directly related to the functions of the position to be filled or equivalent office experience in a related activity at the next lower grade level. Experience in administering or significantly impacting administration of one or more agricultural programs. Such work experience included providing technical information and assistance regarding farm programs to representative of business and community groups; leading in the development of local farm program policies; manages all day-to-day operations of the office; employs subordinate staff.
College Transcript: If you are qualifying based on education, submit a copy of your college transcript that lists college courses detailing each course by the number and department (i.e., bio 101, math 210, etc.), course title, number of credit hours and grade earned. You must submit with your application package evidence that any education completed in a foreign institution was appropriately accredited by an accredited body recognized by the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Education as equivalent to U.S. Education standards. You may submit an unofficial copy of the transcript at the initial phase of the application process; however, if selected, you will be required to submit official transcripts prior to entering on duty. Please refer to the "How to Apply" section for instructions on submitting the transcript.
- Veterans preference does not apply.
- Relocation expenses are not authorized.
- When promotion potential is shown, the agency is not making a commitment and is not obligated to provide future promotions to you if you are selected. Future promotions will be dependent on your ability to perform the duties at a higher level, the continuing need for an employee assigned to the higher level, and administrative approval.
- This is a Non-Federal, Non-Civil Service position.
- This announcement may be used to fill one or more vacancies.
- Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact: USDAs TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TDD).
- Optional - This position would be eligible for telework and other flexible work arrangements in accordance with Department and Agency directives.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
All applicants will be considered on the basis of their education, experience, supervisory appraisal, training, awards and education as it relates to the qualification requirements and on the knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) listed below.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING ELIGIBILITY QUESTIONS CAREFULLY. During the online application process, you will be asked to address the following items:
Note: If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities, or you may be found ineligible. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Providing inaccurate information on application documents could be grounds for non-selection or disciplinary action up to including removal from the Federal service.
- Describe your ability to plan work and make decisions independently. Be sure to include specific examples.
- Describe your ability to identify and resolve problems. Be sure to include specific examples explaining the situation you encountered, the action you took, and the resolution you achieved.
- Describe your ability to communicate in writing being sure to include specific examples.
- Describe your ability to communicate orally being sure to include specific examples.
- Describe your ability to supervise and lead people. Be sure to include specific examples including any supervisory or leadership roles you may have held.
- Describe your knowledge of FSA farm programs and practices including details regarding how you obtained this knowledge.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The following documents are required for your applicant package to be complete. Our office cannot be responsible for incompatible software, illegible fax transmissions, delays in the mail service, your system failure, etc. Encrypted documents will not be accepted. Failure to submit required, legible documents may result in loss of consideration.
- Resume that includes: 1)personal information such as name, address, contact information; 2) education; 3) detailed work experience related to this position as described in the major duties including work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment; for current or previous Federal or FSA County employees, it should also include the title, Pay Plan, Series and Grade for each work experience entry; 4) supervisors phone number and whether or not the supervisor may be contacted for a reference check; 5) other qualifications.
- For current or previous Federal or FSA County employees, you must attach a copy of your most recent Notification of Personnel Action (form SF-50 or SF-50B) that provides current position, grade level, and duty location. Award SF-50 or SF-50B will result in an ineligible rating.
- Current and former USDA Employees must submit your most recently completed annual performance appraisal (dated within 18 months) which identifies the employees official rating of record, signed by the supervisor, or a statement advising why the performance appraisal is unavailable. Do not submit a performance plan. Failure to do so will result in an ineligible rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
Please read the entire announcement and all instructions before you begin. You must complete this application process and submit all required documents electronically by 11:59 PM Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement.
Applying online is highly encouraged. We are available to assist you during business hours (normally 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM CT, Monday - Friday). If applying online poses a hardship, contact us at 318-473-7727 well before the closing date for an alternate method. All hardship application packages must be complete and submitted no later than noon ET on the closing date of the announcement to be entered into the system prior to its closing.
This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis; contact the Agency Contact to request this.
To begin, click "Apply Online" and follow the instructions to complete the Assessment Questionnaire and attach your resume and all required documents.
NOTE: If a document is resubmitted, it replaces the previous submission, which means the previous document is no longer available to the Human Resources Office. If you are adding to, rather than replacing a previous submission, you must upload both the old document and the new document. You must verify that uploaded documents from USAJOBs transfer into the Agency's staffing system as there is a limitation to the number of documents that can be transferred. However, once in the Agency's staffing system, you will have the opportunity to upload additional documents. Applicants may combine all like required documents (e.g. SF-50s or veteran docs) into one or more files and scan for uploading into the application. Each file must not exceed 3MB. Grouping like documents into files will simplify the application process. Documents must be in one of the following formats: GIF, JPEG, JPG, PDF, PNG, RTF, or Word (DOC or DOCX). Uploaded documents may not require a password, digital signature, or other encryption to open.
Agency contact information
AddressFarm Service Agency - County Offices
3737 Government Street
Alexandria, LA 71302
Your application will be reviewed to verify that you meet the eligibility and qualification requirements for the position prior to issuing referral lists to the selecting official. If further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted. Log in to your USAJOBS account at USAJOBS account to check your application status.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/530433500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.