This position is located in the Office of General Counsel (OGC), Smithsonian Institution, (SI), Washington, DC. The employee provides legal support by performing general paralegal duties to support the attorneys of the OGC in all aspects of the legal work of the Office.Learn more about this agency
- Conducts searches of trademark registrations to determine that no similar mark is in use; prepares trademark applications.
Drafts and files responses to trademark office notices, monitors pending actual use and intent-to-use applications and monitors publication of new marks; maintains the Smithsonian's trademark print and electronic trademark files and keeps track of filing deadlines.
- Responds to requests from various units for information and documentation concerning tax status.
- Prepares applications including supporting documentations for submission to foreign taxing authorities, and prepares applications for submission to the IRS for U.S. residency certification letters.
- Organizes and index documents received in response to discovery requests and/or subpoenas; prepares litigation summaries and reports.
- Conduct relevant legal research using electronic and printed resources; prepares exhibits and other materials needed for administrative hearings and court cases.
- Assists with special projects related to the research and retrieval of historical records.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/528485500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.