This position is located within the National Museum of Natural History (NMNH). The incumbent is assigned on a project by project basis to scientific and administrative units throughout the NMNH. Major duties involve assistance with museum collections management tasks including collections care and conservation, specimen/object curation, pest management, storage improvement, data capture, digitization, and maintenance of datasets containing collections information.Learn more about this agency
- Ensures that projects to which he/she is assigned result in properly documented, prepared, catalogued, curated, maintained and accessible collections according to established guidelines and procedures.
- Participates on teams or with higher level staff in performing a wide variety of physical care projects for natural history collections including biological, geological, and anthropological and associated records.
- Compiles, checks, verifies, and maintains data records created from source materials such as labels, specimen/objects, catalogs, data as necessary and records data on the appropriate forms, labels, other documents, or in computer systems as required by the data management process.
- Tracks data through the data management process, proofreading data for technical errors and content, referring to original source documents as necessary; generates technical data such as specimen/object counts and collection item locations; operates various data-entry equipment.
- Works under the guidance of subject-matter experts, uses a variety of digitization techniques including but not limited to, cameras, scanners and image editing software to prepare digital images and generate digital descriptive records of specimens.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/528393900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.