Huntington, WV is the home of Marshall University. Located in the scenic Ohio Valley on the banks of the Ohio River, Huntington offers many cultural and outdoor activities and is in easy driving distance of several larger metropolitan areas such as Lexington, KY, Columbus and Cincinnati, OH and Charleston, WV. With a relaxed lifestyle and affordable living, Huntington is an excellent place to raise a family.Learn more about this agency
The Physician will serve as a staff General Surgeon within the Hershel "Woody" Williams VAMC. The incumbent will maintain professional, technical and administrative knowledge, competencies and skills to provide effective care and timely, quality responses to patients' clinical needs and problems in both the clinic and operating room settings.
As the surgeon you will examine, diagnose, and treat or prescribe course of treatment for patients having disorders, malformations, diseases, and/or injuries and is required to deliver surgical procedures in the operating room and clinical areas.
Responsibilities may include:
- Performing surgical operations, outpatient ambulatory surgical procedures and clinic duties, and outpatient and inpatient surgery consultations for new and established patients.
- Participate in ward rounds and any other relevant activities as necessary for initial and follow-up patient care.
- Follow each patient through the full continuum of care process to include admissions, discharges, performing histories and physicals when pre-surgical evaluation is not available, requesting and writing orders for diagnostic tests and procedures for pre-op, prior to surgery, and completing informed consents.
- May be required to perform, but not limited to surgical procedures, both upper and lower GI endoscopies, esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD). The General Surgeon must have operative skills in common surgical procedures in general surgery (such as hernias, laparoscopic, chole-cystectomy, colon resection, breast, etc.) and provide follow-up for patients who have undergone surgery.
- Responsible for educating patients and family members.
- Adhere to policies and procedures regarding the completion of all required orders, operation/procedure notes/reports, discharge summaries, progress notes, clinical reminders, all other required medical documentation, and performance measures.
- Will work and train residents and mid-levels in all aspects of their duties as required;
- Performs other directly related duties as required.
Work Schedule: Monday- Friday with rotating call
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Recruitment/Relocation may be authorized for highly qualified candidates.
PCS may be authorized for highly qualified candidates.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/527976900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.