Incumbent will serve as an IT Specialist (Security) in the Infrastructure Services Division of the Office of Information Systems Management (OISM) for NIST.Learn more about this agency
Your application package may be shared with other selecting officials at NIST with opportunities like the one you are applying to. Additional selections may be made through this vacancy.
This notice is issued under direct-hire authority to recruit new talent to occupations for which NIST has a severe shortage of candidates.
Incumbent will serve as an IT Specialist (Security) in the Infrastructure Services Division of the Office of Information Systems Management (OISM) for the National Institute of Standards and Technology. Incumbent will enhance the performance and security of enterprise IT services supporting NIST's mission. To provide tech leadership in Log Management for NIST and Commerce IT services through advanced identification of operational issues and continuous monitoring and diagnostics. Provide support outside of business hours in order to meet OISM Service level objectives. Incumbent will provide administration of the Splunk Infrastructure supporting the Department of Commerce within OISM.
Occasional travel - Travel may be required for training.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen
- You must be registered for Selective Service if applicable (www.sss.gov)
- You must be suitable for Federal Employment
Applicants must meet requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Experience must be IT related; the experience may be demonstrated by paid or unpaid experience and/or completion of specific, intensive training (for example, IT certification), as appropriate
GS-5 through GS-15 (or equivalent): For all positions individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below. The employing agency is responsible for identifying the specific level of proficiency required for each competency at each grade level based on the requirements of the position being filled.
1. Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
2. Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
3. Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
In addition to the basic requirements, applicant must have one year (52 weeks) of specialized experience at the GS-12 level (ZP-III at NIST). Specialized experience is defined as experience using the scripting languages: BASH and Python. Management of source code using a Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), source code control system, change management processes. System administration of the linux operating system. Administration and configuration of the Splunk software package.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcement are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains Federal qualification standards. This handbook is available on the OPM website located at http:///www.opm.gov/qualifications
Applicants may request reconsideration of their qualifications determination within three business days from the date their applicant status was changed. Applicants should email the Agency Contact listed in this vacancy announcement with their written request listing the announcement number; explaining why the original determination was improper; what factors were not considered; and, should provide any other pertinent information that would enable reevaluation.
A one to three year probationary period may be required.
This position is covered by an Alternative Personnel Management System (APMS). This system replaces the General Schedule (GS) pay plan and grade with career paths and pay bands. For information regarding how the pay bands correspond to the General Schedule, click here.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applications will be evaluated against the basic qualifications. Your resume must contain sufficiently detailed information upon which to make a qualification determination. Please ensure that your resume contains specific information such as position titles, beginning and ending dates of employment for each position, average number of hours worked per week, salary, duties performed for each position, and if the position is/was in the Federal government, you should provide the position series and grade level/pay band. Please also include in your resume a list of all publications and patents/patent applications on which you are a named inventor and provide the title and patent/patent application number for each. Qualified candidates will be considered in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management Direct Hire Guidelines. Veterans' Preference does not apply to the direct hire recruitment procedures. Selections made under this notice will be processed as new appointments to the civil service. You may not be considered for the position if any part of the application is incomplete. Your application may not receive appropriate consideration without the required supporting documentation.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
What documents do I need to submit? In addition to your resume, you must submit a copy of your transcripts to document that you have met the education requirement. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required prior to the final offer of employment.
How do I submit my documents: You may submit required and/or supplemental documents through any ONE of the following methods:
- Upload your file(s);
- Download from your USAJOBS account;
- Fax using the on-line fax cover sheet;
All required supporting documentation mentioned in this vacancy announcement, and all vacancy applications submitted electronically or via fax must be submitted and received by 11:59 pm ET on the closing date of this announcement. You are not required to submit official documents at this time; copies are sufficient.
Are you CTAP or ICTAP Eligible? If you are a Federal employee claiming special priority selection rights under DOC's Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or your Agency's Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), you must meet the threshold of "well qualified" for the position to receive priority consideration. DoC defines well qualified as receiving an overall score of "85". You must also submit proof that you meet the requirements of 5CFR 330.605 (a) for CTAP and 5 CFR 330.704 for ICTAP. This includes a copy of your agency's notice, a copy of your most recent Performance Rating and a copy of your most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, noting current position, grade level, and the duty location. Please annotate your application to reflect that you are applying as a CTAP or ICTAP eligible. For more information about CTAP and ICTAP, please refer to the following web sites: CTAP ICTAP
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
NIST offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, and participation in the Federal Employee Retirement System. NIST also offers a broad array of work-life flexibilities and services to employees such as flexible work schedules, teleworking transit subsidies, on-site child care, fitness center, credit union, employee assistance programs, and free parking. Learn more about NIST's work life programs by clicking here.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section of the announcement.
1. To begin, click Apply Online to access an online application. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account or you may need to create a new account.
2. You will be taken to an online application. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation, and submit the application.
3. You will receive an email notification when your application has been received for the announcement.
4. To verify the status of your application, log in to your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the More Information link for this position. The Application Status page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and your responses submitted to the online application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
5. To return to your saved application, log in to your USAJOBS account at http://www.usajobs.gov/. and click on "Applications." Click on the position title, and then select "Update Application."
Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online to receive full consideration, however if you are unable to apply online, please contact the Agency Contact identified for this vacancy.
Problems Completing Your Application
If you have problems completing your on-line application, including problems submitting your supporting documents, please contact the Help Desk by email at email@example.com or by phone at 866.656.6831. The help desk is available Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. ET.
Agency contact information
AddressNATIONAL INSTITUTE OF STANDARDS AND TECHNOLOGY
100 Bureau Drive
Gaithersburg, Maryland 20899
After the announcement closes, your application package will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualification requirements. We expect to make a final job offer within 45 days from the closing date of the announcement.
You will be notified of your application status through USAJOBS at four points during the hiring process, as applicable. You can check the status of your application by accessing the USAJOBS website at http://usajobs.gov/ and clicking on "Applications." The status will be visible next to the corresponding position. The four points of notification are:
1. Application Received or Application Incomplete;
2. Minimum Qualification Requirement Met or Minimum Qualification Requirement Not Met;
3. Referred or Not Referred; and
4. Selected or Not Selected
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/527412200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.