This position is located in the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Coast Guard, Research and Development Center, New London, CT.Learn more about this agency
This position is a supervisory research scientist at the Coast Guard Research and Development Center. The position has substantive leadership, planning, and technology management responsibilities to include: establishing goals; conceiving, organizing, directing, and defending integrated Science and Technology (S&T) programs that respond to existing and evolving Coast Guard mission needs or scientific or engineering discoveries; overseeing a diverse R&D project portfolio; and supervising both technical supervisors and a staff of research scientists, engineers, and program analysts.
Being a Coast Guard civilian makes you a valuable member of the Coast Guard team. Typical work assignments include:
- Plans, schedules, and executes experiments in response to agency needs for data to research, develop, and test novel solutions to address performance gaps.
- Develops effective work processes to recognize new technological concepts and findings, evaluating their feasibility and applicability to Coast Guard missions
- Provides technical and strategic leadership in formulating applied research and development across a large and diverse project portfolio to advance Coast Guard technological applications.
- Maintains current knowledge of scientific subjects and applying specialized maritime technical knowledge to recommend far reaching improvements to scientific evaluations, investigations, or review processes.
- Translates and communicates complex scientific concepts for a wide variety of senior officials on opportunities for improving Coast Guard operations including the effective communication of the Coast Guard’s R&D portfolio with projects across all 11 statutory missions.
- Supervises skilled technical staff that include both supervisory technical branch chiefs and teams of research scientists, engineers, and program analysts to include oversight, evaluation, and execution of mission and customer projects, dealing with innovative technology, planning for professional development, and allocating resources for project execution.
- Creates, guides, evaluates, and manages project portfolio execution in relation to the established schedule and resources allotted.
25% or less - This position may require occasional travel.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/527375100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.