As a Information Technology Specialist (Applications Software) at the GS-2210-12/13 with a full performance level of GS-13, you will be part of CIO Federal IT Business Solutions, Office of Personnel Management. If selected, you will be responsible for the active participation and task level delivery of the assigned programs, and serve as a customer relationship manager to the business leaders, managers, and users of the assigned IT programs.Learn more about this agency
- Collect and validate requirements for medium to large, moderate to complex tasks in support of a project that requires a singular area of expertise.
- Develops/builds IT solutions to meet the business requirements.
- Perform ongoing routine application maintenance, production support, and troubleshoot existing information systems errors.
- Configure and integrate solutions with other applications and platforms.
- Designs, writes, tests, debugs, and maintains software applications that meet technical and functional requirements.
- Coordinate with scrum masters, product owners and the scrum teams to provide technical solutions that address user needs.
- Participates in project planning processes to include time, cost, and resource management.
- Adheres to standards, procedures, and security policies as well as review modules for quality assurance.
- Documents functions and changes to new or modified modules and test activities/results.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service
- Suitable for Federal employment, determined by a background investigation
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period
- This position may be placed in any organization with the Chief Information Office.
QualificationsFor the GS 12/13: You must have
Basic Requirements: Information Technology (IT)-related experience that demonstrates proficiency in each of the following competencies:
Application & Systems Design, Development and Maintenance - apply IT principles, concepts, methods, standards and practices to significantly change, interpret, and develop IT applications software program methods and procedures. Effectively and proficiently code application and programs within compliance with industry standards and best practices.
System Development Lifecycle Methodologies--work independently or within a structured agile sprint team on multiple, concurrent IT projects. Apply SDLC methodologies effectively to ensure accuracy, reliability, and availability of systems and applications.
Technical Documentation--produce technical documentation, requirements, and graphical representation effectively using computer applications.
Customer Service - Works with team member and customers to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
Oral and Written Communication - Expresses information to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information, makes clear and convincing oral or written presentations; listens to others, and responds appropriately. Familiar and experience with Microsoft Suite of project-related and communication tools.
For GS-12: You must have one year of specialized experience that is equivalent at least to the GS-11 grade level or pay band in the Federal service experience in designing, documentation, development, modification, testing, installation, implementation and support of new or existing applications software as part of a DevOps team integrating Agile processes into assigned work; work on medium to large, moderate to complex tasks in support of a project that requires a singular area of expertise. Experience in some or more of the following tools, languages and skills is strongly desired: COBOL, CICS, FORTRAN, J2EE, VB.NET, Natural/ADABAS, MS SQL Server, DB2 UDB, Oracle, Host on Demand (HOD), HATS, z/OS, z/Linux, Windows, Life Cycle Management (LCM), other IBM Mainframe tool suite and project management.
For GS-13: You must have one year of specialized experience that is equivalent to at least the GS-12 grade level or pay band in the Federal service experience in designing, documentation, development, modification, testing, installation, implementation and support of new or existing applications software as part of a DevOps team integrating Agile processes into assigned work; work on medium to large, moderate to complex tasks in support of a project that requires a singular area of expertise. Experience in some or more of the following tools, languages and skills is strongly desired: COBOL, CICS, FORTRAN, J2EE, VB.NET, Natural/ADABAS, MS SQL Server, DB2 UDB, Oracle, Host on Demand (HOD), HATS, z/OS, z/Linux, Windows, Life Cycle Management (LCM), other IBM Mainframe tool suite and project management tools. You must have a minimum of 2 years managing IT-related projects as lead.
Merit promotion applicants must meet time-in-grade requirement as defined in 5 CFR 300, Subpart F.One year at the next lower level is required to meet the time-in-grade requirements for the GS-12/13 level.
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Relocation expenses will not be paid. Current OPM employees may qualify as an exception.
The full performance level of this position is GS-13.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional similar vacancies across OPM.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document that you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application: http://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information
Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA): To be eligible for a VEOA appointment under Merit Promotion procedures, the veteran must be a preference eligible or a veteran separated after 3 years or more of continuous active service performed under honorable conditions.
Noncompetitive Appointment Authorities: For more information on noncompetitive appointment authority eligibility
requirements visit the following websites:
- Persons with Disabilities-Schedule A
- Special Hiring Authorities for Veterans
- Special Hiring Authority for Certain Military Spouses
- Other Special Appointment Authorities
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the job qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified for this job, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the Occupational Questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
Attention to Detail
Systems Life Cycle
All qualified Non Competitive applicants and the best qualified Merit Promotion applicants will be referred to the hiring manager for consideration.
Career Transition Assistance Programs: These programs apply to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: 1) meet CTAP or ICTAP eligibility criteria; 2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 85 or above based on the competencies listed above; and 3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP or ICTAP eligibility. For more information visit: http://www.opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Your Resume listing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed.
- Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Your most recent Promotion, Within Rate Increase (WRI/WGI), or Appointment/Conversion SF-50 or Notification of Personnel Action (if applying as a current or former Federal Employee) showing you are/were in the competitive service and the highest grade or promotion potential held.
- Worker's Compensation Separation: Agency certification of inability to place employee AND Notification of Separation OR Separation SF-50.
- Disability Annuity Termination: Notification from OPM of disability annuity termination AND Separation SF-50 of the last position held.
- Military Reserve or National Guard Technician Special Disability Retirement Annuity under 5 U.S.C. 8337(h) or 8456: Certification of special disability retirement annuity from a military department or National Guard Bureau AND Separation SF-50 of the last position held
- Veterans Employment Opportunity Act, Veterans Recruitment Appointment, and 30% Disabled Veteran Eligible: DD-214, SF-15 Form and VA letter, or certification of expected discharge or release from active duty under honorable conditions within 120 days
- Schedule A, Persons with Disabilities Appointment Eligibles: Schedule A letter from a physician, local, state or federal rehabilitation office citing your eligibility under 5 CFR 213.3102 (u).
- Certain Family Members Eligible under E.O. 12721: Your most recent non-award SF-50 and performance appraisal.
- Certain Military Spouses Eligible under E.O. 13473: Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders, issued within the last 2 years, that lists you as authorized to accompany the Military member to the new duty permanent station; OR verification of the member's 100% disability (VA Letter); and/or verification of the member's death while on active duty (DD-1300 and Death Certificate) AND verification of the marriage to the service member (i.e., a marriage license or other legal documentation verifying marriage).
- Interchange Agreement with Other Merit Systems Eligible: Documentation of eligibility as listed in each individual interchange agreement.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 03/27/2019 to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply Online to access an online application. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account or you may need to create a new account.
- You will be taken to an online application. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation, and submit the application.
- You will receive an email notification when your application has been received for the announcement.
- To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the More Information link for this position. The Application Status page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and your responses submitted to the online application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
Agency contact information
DC HR Customer Service
AddressOPM Human Resources
1900 E St., NW
Washington, DC 20415
The questionnaire will assess your qualifications for the job, and will be used to identify the best qualified applicants to be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. Your ratings in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification based on the documents and references you submit. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your ratings. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you or for dismissing you from the position/agency during the probationary period.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated. You will receive another notification about the status of your application.
We expect to make a job offer within 40 days after the closing date of the announcement. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/527367800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.